Can I Use A 5 Qt Mixer For SugarshackS 6Qt Buttercream Reci

Baking By Echooo3 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 12:21am by Echooo3

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 14

Will it fit? Should I adjust the 6 qt recipe for my 5qt KA?

13 replies
Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 14

I have the 5qt bowl lift KA and am not able to get more than 4 lbs of PS in it. Sooo, I adjusted the recipe down for 4 lbs of PS and made all the changes for the other ingredients. If you manage to get 5 lbs of PS in a 5 qt bowl lift KA, let me know!!!

Tracyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracyj Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:49pm
post #3 of 14

On her buttercream DVD the recipe is for a 5 qt. Right?? I put the same recipe in my 5 qt Kitchen Aid (Artisan) and fits perfect.

Echooo3 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 14

I don't have Sweetex and can not afford to buy 50 pounds of it, can I use Wal-mart Shortening?

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 14

I use my 5 qt and it fits. Its full but it fits. Be sure and put the towel around your mixer because the sugar does fly! Check your local party store for the Sweetex. Our BR local party-Time sells it in 4 lb packages.

kake4me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kake4me2 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

I don't have Sweetex and can not afford to buy 50 pounds of it, can I use Wal-mart Shortening?

Asked sugarshack the same question last week. Her respose::

If you can't find sweetex, use a shortening with transfat.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 14

I use Crisco and it works fine. I can't remember what her original recipe is, but I use 5c. crisco and 4# powdered sugar and it fits!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 14

Someone else just said they have a 5-qt KA and the 6-qt recipe fits. I'm amazed! I made a batch yesterday in my 6-qt and it was jumping out the top of the bowl!

Having said that, there are two 6-qt recipe versions afloat on this site. One is listed in the recipes. Unfortunately, it did not work at all for me, as it called for way too much liquid and my icing sagged badly. No disrespect intended to the poster of that recipe. Sharon herself posted another recipe with different ratios and it worked so much better.

The point being... Sharon's version did produce more volume and filled my bowl completely; the listed recipe produced less volume.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 14

I adjusted the recipe down to 4 qts and it still fills up the entire bowl of my mixer. You aren't going to be able to get the 6 qt recipe in antything other than a 6 qt mixer. It fluffs up over the beater (which is what is suppose to happen based her her recipe and instruction), so I would definitely adjust it down.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 8:43pm
post #10 of 14

oh, and I don't buy sweetex (don't have a source and don't need 50 lbs) I just use store brand with transfat and I get wonderful results every single time.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:17pm
post #11 of 14

my original recipe IS for the 5 quart bowl. look up my recipe here on CC and thats the one you want!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 14

I just ordered 4 of the Sugar Shack DVDs...I'm so excited!!! Does anybody know if she has recipes on the DVDs?

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 14

hm i thought i was using the sugar shack recipe, it takes 61/2 cups of crisco, my mixxer was to small i borrowed my friends large mixer i mixed all the wet ingredients, mixed but had to still take some of what was mixed out and add more, and kept doing this until it was mixed well, i cut the recipe in half for my small mixer and had to do the same thing, hope i get a big girl mixer for Christmas lol, but i did get the small one with 2 bowls from a yard sale for 10 dollars i was so happy. i do like this recipe because it's not really to sweet.

Echooo3 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 12:21am
post #14 of 14

Right now I icon_cry.gif am making the sugarshack buttercrea and I really want to get it right but my mixture is lumpy/grainy, fluffy yes, it's runny looks like a fluffed up cottage cheese.

What have I done wrong? icon_cry.gif I found the recipe for 5 quarts but something is not right.

Here is the recipe I used.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cak.....-Tips.html

Thank you - it tastes awesome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%