What Is The Best Fondant Brand?

Decorating By coconooch Updated 25 Sep 2013 , 5:16pm by The Chippy

coffeecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coffeecake Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #31 of 54

I am also a Satin Ice fan - I find it easy to work with and I love thier vibrant colors, which mix well with white or ivory if you want a toned down color.

The other fondant I use frequently is Chocopan. (made a gaint tan coffee cup, using thier coffee flavored fondant - fun!)

I consider Wilton Fondant 'for decorative purposes only"

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm
post #32 of 54

All of the brands I've tried either tasted like chemicals or had a chemically aftertaste. Chocopan is the only one that didn't and it's super delicious. I found it easy to work with and to roll very thin. I just hate that it's only available to me via mailorder and the shipping is really high.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #33 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Sisters

But I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay.

Totally agree with that. I'am placing an order this week so I can try this. Thanks

elizacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizacake Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:50pm
post #34 of 54

Ok...so I broke down and ordered Massa Americana...will let everyone know what I think soon. icon_smile.gif
I do like the taste and smell of both Chocopan & Fondarific.
I really like the flavor of Chocopan, but can be a problem for people with Chocolate allergies. icon_sad.gif If you are using the colored or white Chocopan a person might eat it without even knowing it's chocolate.
I've only used the "Buttercream" flavor of Fondarific and enjoyed it.
Satin ice is really easy to use, but smells awful when it's still fresh and being worked with.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:06pm
post #35 of 54
Quote:

I purchase mine directly from Nicholas, but it may also be ordered from Albert Uster Imports. Their website is www.auiswiss.com. Nicholas Lodge's is www.nicholaslodge.com. The people there are GREAT!! Another nice thing about Massa, is that the taste is very mild, so it may be flavored with any flavor you would like.

Good Luck. icon_smile.gif

I won't use anything other than Massa fondant from Albert Uster. (I'm their featured sugar artist but that didn't influence me). This is the best. Don't care for Satin Ice and Wilton is out of the question.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #36 of 54

I also use Massa- both Grischuna and White Chocolate. I don't splurge on the Americana, but I'm sure its fabulous. I use SatinIce for easier stuff, but when I have a hard cake (a couple weeks ago I did a sphere wedding cake- in my pics) I go with the Massa. There is just such a difference! Worth every penny, as long as you can get your money back when charging for your wedding cakes. I think I got a sample of it from Epicurious or something, they had like a pound of it verses the 13lb bucket.

thecakeprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:58pm
post #37 of 54

I too am a fan of Satin Ice. I only use Wilton for boards and practice.

SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:33am
post #38 of 54

I mainly use Satin Ice and love it... love how it handles and how it tastes. I recently bought a 2 lb tub of Choco-pan to try and it tastes good. It was REALLY REALLY hard (rock hard) to start with and took awhile to knead into a soft consistancy but it DOES roll out thin, thus using less product and saving $$$... though it costs more $ to order. AND since reading this post, I have ordered samples of the fondarific and am excited to get it in the mail!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 5 Nov 2009 , 1:46am
post #39 of 54

Satin Ice

lorrinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrinda Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 6:40am
post #40 of 54

I bought Red Satin Ice after reading the previous posts. I gotta say I am not impressed. Maybe it's just the Red, but it smells like play doh and tastes awful. I'm going to mix it with tylose and just use for flowers, no way would I use this to cover my cake! I'm scared to order any other colors. I don't like the Wilton fondant either, but at least it tastes like sugar. This bucket of Red Satin Ice has an awful chemical taste, even my kids wouldn't eat it (and they're always stealing bits of fondant from my kitchen)

diane706 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane706 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #41 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrinda

I bought Red after reading the previous posts. I gotta say I am not impressed. Maybe it's just the Red, but it smells like play doh and tastes awful. I'm going to mix it with tylose and just use for flowers, no way would I use this to cover my cake! I'm scared to order any other colors. I don't like the Wilton fondant either, but at least it tastes like sugar. This bucket of Red has an awful chemical taste, even my kids wouldn't eat it (and they're always stealing bits of fondant from my kitchen)

lorrinda, give Fondarific a try. http://www.fondarific.com/
You can get red in both Buttercream and Vanilla flavors. They also have red in cherry flavor I believe. They will send you a sample pack for $6.00. I think you will love it!

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 4:55pm
post #42 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrinda

I bought Red after reading the previous posts. I gotta say I am not impressed. Maybe it's just the Red, but it smells like play doh and tastes awful. I'm going to mix it with tylose and just use for flowers, no way would I use this to cover my cake! I'm scared to order any other colors. I don't like the Wilton fondant either, but at least it tastes like sugar. This bucket of Red has an awful chemical taste, even my kids wouldn't eat it (and they're always stealing bits of fondant from my kitchen)

I agree, mine smelled like Playdoh too and it dries out fast for those of us that are still a little slow at covering cakes with fondant. I have an order in for Fondarific so am eager to try it!

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 3:19am
post #43 of 54

We use Fondarific for those who want chocolate, buttercream, or vanilla flavored fondant and Satin Ice for those who want a marshmallow flavor. What's nice about Fondarific is that although it costs more than some of the other brands, you end up using 50-75% less than you would with other brands. Also, it heals nicely if you should tear it while putting it on the cake.

Paul

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 6:48am
post #44 of 54

Are satin ice and fondarific still the winners? icon_smile.gif
I've only made MMF, but would like to try store-bought.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 24 Jan 2012 , 9:06pm
post #45 of 54

I like satin ice to work with and it tastes good. Fonderific tastes wonderful but for me it's too soft and falls apart (sort of melting). Pettinice was ok and haven't tried the fondx yet. I too only use Wilton for boards.

Bridgette1129 Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 10:05pm
post #46 of 54

K so I bought satin ice and I like the flavor but it dries out fast. I ordered some fondarific and want to try Massa soon!

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 17 Mar 2012 , 10:26pm
post #47 of 54
Quote:

I use Wilton to cover boards - tastes terrible! I have used , but after Nicholas Lodge introduced me to Massa Americana, I'll never go back. It is the BEST ever! Very easy to work with. It may seem a little pricey, but you are able to roll it so thin that it goes a long way. I've had people who say they hate fondant, but once they try the Massa, they quickly change their minds.

I love Massa Americana but only second to their white chocolate. Only available from Albert Uster but oh soooo good. I just ordered Nicholas Lodges 5th Avenue Blue fondant (yes, exactly like Tiffany's). It's all imported from Switzerland and worth every penny.

I give samples of various fondants at my tastings (Satin Ice, Fondarific, and Albert Usters Americana and White Chocolate). The Albert Uster's wins out every time...and my brides never complain about the price once they taste the difference. For me, the upside is that it's a dream to work with.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 2:20am
post #48 of 54

Jennifer Dontz's semi-home made.

Bridgette1129 Posted 18 Mar 2012 , 5:31am
post #49 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

I give samples of various fondants at my tastings (, Fondarific, and Albert Usters Americana and White Chocolate). The Albert Uster's wins out every time...and my brides never complain about the price once they taste the difference. For me, the upside is that it's a dream to work with.

I like this idea

Nauz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nauz Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 8:22pm
post #50 of 54

Anyone knows where to buy cheapest or with coupon Satin Ice Fondant?

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 3 Apr 2013 , 9:36pm
post #51 of 54

I am married to satin ice.  I have tried many brands.  fondx was ok but i found it to be a little too soft for me but they have a nice range of colors.  my go to has been satin ice for the last 4-5 years.  I have never been disappointed by it.

umelcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umelcake Posted 6 May 2013 , 7:45am
post #52 of 54

hi.. would like to ask which one is better the buttercream flavor Satin ice fondant or the vanilla?

thanks in advance

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 6 May 2013 , 1:41pm
post #53 of 54

I use Wilton and Satin Ice to cover boards and make figures because they dry well, but taste terrible.  I only use Massa Grischuna from Albert Ulster Imports for my cakes.  

The Chippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The Chippy Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 5:16pm
post #54 of 54

I've been using FondX Rolled Fondant for years and have always loved working with it.  I started out with wilton fondant also, but soon after I started doing more cakes, I graduated to FondX fondant.  You can find it at Caljava: 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%