An Email Alert...this Is A Hoax...

Decorating By mumsbakersdozen Updated 21 Oct 2013 , 3:46am by cakestomuch

mumsbakersdozen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mumsbakersdozen Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 20

I NOT SURE IF THIS IS THE PLACE TO POST THIS...BUT HERE GOES...

I RECEIVED THIS EMAIL THIS MORNING...

To: [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:44:20 AM
Subject: Wedding cake inquiry

Hi,

I will like you to bake me a chocolate or a strawberry cake of 5 tier that can serve approximately 250 guest or more, and I want the cake to be decorated with pink roses and the cake should be covered in fondant or butter cream and let there be an inscription be writing on one of the cake as (Happy Married Life) and i want you to pack them in different boxes after ready for pick up. And I want you to have the cake ready for pick-up on 16th of October 2009, 11 o clock A.M. So let me know if you can fill in the date, once i have your reply i will forward all the details and the picture sample of the cake i will like you to bake for me. I await your reply soon.

Thanks and God bless.

Alex.

I REPLIED WITH THIS....

HI ALEX

YES I DO HAVE OCT. 16TH OPENED...I CAN MAKE A 5 TIERED CAKE YOUR FLAVORS OF CHOICE...I ALSO CAN MAKE PINK ROSES & WRITE AN INSCRIPTION...HOW EVER I DELIVER & SET UP ALL MY CAKES...I WILL NEED TO KNOW WHEN &WHERE TO DELIVER YOUR CAKE SO I CAN SET IT UP PROPERLY...I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU IN MAKING YOUR DECISION...LOOK FORWARD FROM HEARING FROM YOU...

THANKS,
TERESA BEAUDRY/CUSTOM CRITTERS

THEN I GOT THIS REPLY...

Subject: Re: Wedding cake inquiry
To: "Teresa Beaudry" <[email protected]>
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2009, 7:13 AM

Hello Teresa,

Thanks for the swift reply to my order request and your concern as well, i want you to know that am very grateful, I will like you to bake me 5teir's of cake, 3 in Butter cream cake and 2 in chocolate cake and the filling should be Raspberry, Chocolate Mousse and Vanilla Custard, it should be decorated with roses as seen in the picture i attached ( in the picture the roses can be in gum paste, what you see on the side of the cake is a polka dot, and i will like the color of the polka dot to be pink color). And you should also have the cake covered in fondant or butter cream to feed 250 people ( I believe the fondant should make the journey), let inscription be writing on one

of the cake as *Happy Married Life* and i want you to packaged it in a different cake boxes for pick up once its ready.

I want the cake to be ready for pick up time 11 o clock A.M 16th of October 2009. and the shipper will be coming to pick them up for delivery to my wedding reception and i don't want you to be worried about the safety delivery of the cake. Regarding the shipping, I have a shipping agent who will be taking good care of the delivery consignments. The Shipping company will come for the pickup arrangement of the Cake at your location for the pick up date and time. And as I have said, you dont have anything to worry about on the shipping of the cake it will be well secured and in a good condition on arriving the location of my wedding reception, the shipper will be coming with there refrigerator Van for the pick up and it will be ship under the fragile shipping insurance scheme, a friend of mine has used them before for a shipping consignment of this such and they are well secured, reliable and dependable. So I want you to calculate for me what will be the total cost of the cake order including the decoration plus tax if included, and also I want you to add $950 for the cost of the pick up and the shipping, so once I have your reply for the total I will remit my credit card for you to charge for the total cost. so that you can have the order book right away.

And once you have the order in progress, I will provide you the shipper information, and how you will get the shipping fee to the shipper as to confirm the pickup arrangement of the cake. I will offer you an extra $100 for taking care of my order properly and for any less stress you will go through for completing the transaction for me due to my absence. So plus do calculate altogether the total cost of the cake + decoration and tax + $950 for shipping charges, including the $100 am offering you.And get back to me with the total for all, so once i have the total cost i will remit my credit card for you to charge. And you should let me know the type of Credit Card you accept Visa or Master.

I will be waiting to have your reply for the total cost.

Thanks and God bless.
Alex.

HAD A FRIEND DO SOME QUICK RESEARCH....FOUND OUT HE IS GETTING NAMES OFF THIS WEB SITE & HAS SENT THIS TO OTHERS ON HERE...THIS IS A HOAX...THERE IS NO CAKE TO BE SHIPPED...

CAN WE STOP THIS PERSON & HOW...I'M POSTING THIS ON ALL MY WEB PAGES TO WARN EVERYONE...I'M REPORTING HIM TO MY WEBSITE & MARKING HIM AS SPAM...WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO TO STOP THIS CREEP...WOUNDER WHO ELSE HAS HE SCAMMED IN THE PAST...

ALL SUGGESTIONS WELCOME...
THANKS...MUMSBAKERSDOZEN/TERESA

19 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 20

I got that this morning from the same dude.....deleted it.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 20

This scam has been going around for YEARS, he is not the only person perpetuating this. There is a ring I am sure that targets bakeries and cake businesses. Most already know about this scam but if someone on CC didn't already, hopefully they will have read this post and know now not to respond to these idiot thieves.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 20

Oldest scam in the books. I shudder to think there is anyone out there that thinks this has a snowballs chance in hell of being legit.

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 20

And there is no Alex, or Mark or David or anyone at all. Fake names, fake everything!

And come one....Happy Marriage Life? You know why they say that right? They use Alta Vista Babelfish to translate what they think is an American or English saying, and it comes out looking odd when we read it. That explains the wonky grammar and everything.

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 20

One more thing...no you can't stop them. It's up to individuls to be a little suspicious when they get emails like this. Honestly, who in the hell offers MORE money than necessary for something like that? No one.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 20

Probably the same group of people that live in S. Africa and want to deposit money into an account for them, blah,blah,blah and how they will pay you a million dollars or something crazy like that. I know that there was one woman that was prosecuted for that very scam but Im sure there were more. I probably get that or something to that effect about every three months. I either hit the spam button or I will reply "Oh, ok, well if your in S. Africa then it should be no problem to work with my friend Janine who lives in Johannasburg." Yes, I really have a friend there, and no they dont reply back. Its just another way for crooks to try to bounce on some poor soul that might actually believe their crap. I think Yahoo has a thing that you can report them to. But Im sure its more than one person, it will be kinda tough to get all of them. The Feds probably have things they consider more immediate to work on so Im sure its something that is just fluffed off. I guess we just have to ban together and make sure everyone knows not to even talk to these people.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 6:49pm
post #8 of 20

Hi...
I have recieved this one numerous times over the past couple of years....
Brownie

cadopo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadopo Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 5:01am
post #9 of 20

I got the same exact email. I didnt respond negtiveky b/c I want the creep to keep using the same name so everyone can find out about just by googling his email address.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 7:02am
post #10 of 20

Anyone who falls for that ancient scam deserves the consequences.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 9 Nov 2009 , 12:55pm
post #11 of 20

They JUST KEEP trying....

Thanks for letting people know. I had a live one with my store the other day. He wanted to order 220 of ONE item, they would pick it up, send to Korea....geeze...I wasn't born yesterday.....

Jen icon_smile.gif

elie121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elie121 Posted 18 Oct 2013 , 5:04pm
post #12 of 20

I GOT THIS TODAY !

My name is Alex Bryant, I would like to know if you render pick up and delivery to apartment, i have a shipment coming from United Kingdom which i would need your service to pick up the shipment from the international airport and have it deliver to apartment. the shipment is consisting of furniture's and art galleries weight 790 lbs, I want it delivery to my address, Kindly let me know the type of credit card you accept for payment, once i hear from you i will provide you my delivery address and the international airport where you will pick up the shipment.

I await your reply soon.

Regards,
Alex...BE CAREFUL PEOPLE THIS IS A AN OLD SCAM !

Stephanie3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephanie3 Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 3:44am
post #13 of 20

A"Thanks for your swift response and sorry for my late response,

It is going to be a low key re-wedding ceremony party on 8th of March,2014 and a form of smpthy speech from Netherlands Military delegates for myself and my hubby as a disabled Ex military officer.

I would appreciate your service to be rendered in a form that will befit this party as it is motively for our re-wedding and to be announced by the Netherlands Military priest and witness by the Military Delegates from Netherlands.let me know how much to pay

We can meet later before the party when I am back in Canada with my hubby but before then I would need to provide your name and address with phone number for the Military Donor Philanthropist to make the cheque method of payment sent to you as it is their means of payment.

Please you will book us as soon as you receive the payment, I will notify you when it has been sent .

Awaiting for your detail

Milandy Sent from Ipad ® wireless handheld from Netherlands Tmobile.

From: Stephanie > Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 13:45:28 -0400 To: Subject: RE: wedding

Hi Milandy,

Yes, i am available that day.

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 07:01:56 +0100 Subject: wedding From: [email protected] To:

Greeting!,

My name is milandy, I will like to book your service for my wedding , the wedding is on the 8th of March,2014 i will like to know if you are available for the date and your charges for

the event.

Waiting to hear from you.

Thanks"

I got this one a couple days ago. Once i seen the second email i stopped responding. Why would they think this is even remotely believable?

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 7:43am
post #14 of 20

AWhat is the actual scam part then?

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 10:40am
post #15 of 20

We had a similar one going around earlier this year, they hit us with a couple of variations.  Basically they go through the whole thing of placing an order and after several emails they then say something like they need you to send $0000 via Western Union to a courier company to arrange the shipping and then they will pay you back that money plus a few hundred more for your trouble. So the scam is you send the money to Western Union and then they disappear.  I was a little bored the day that one of emails came and I thought I would mess with their heads a little answered back with a ridiculous counter offer ie they send me $0000 first and I would arrange the shipping, funny but they didn't want to take me up on my offer!

cupcakemaker Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 12:25pm
post #16 of 20

ABut why would anyone do that?!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 12:42pm
post #17 of 20

A

Original message sent by cupcakemaker

But why would anyone do that?!

Sadly, because there are a lot of thrives and bad people in this world.

cupcakemaker Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 1:31pm
post #18 of 20

AI meant send them money!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 1:34pm
post #19 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakemaker 

I meant send them money!

these be budding thieves just practicing their english -- clearly not getting any return on their efforts in the u.s. i hope ;)

cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:46am
post #20 of 20

A

Original message sent by cupcakemaker

I meant send them money!

Unfortunately there are dumb people out there who will believe almost anything. I have seen on the news where people fell for something this stupid. When they are interviewed they say that they have heard about it before, but thought it would never happen to them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%