Another How Many Servings Question...

Decorating By still_learning Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm by prterrell

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 5

How many servings do you think you get out of a 9" round and 12" round put together? I plan to make each tier 4 layers (using 2, 2" layers torted to 4 layers) - does that make sense? Wilton's party servings says 64 and their wedding one says 88. Some people on CC say to ignore the party servings chart but I didn't know if that was for pricing purposes or actual servings. This is for a first birthday party where there will be 50 adults and 25 kids. Thanks so much for the help!!!

4 replies
nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 5

Go with the 88 servings from the wedding chart for actual servings and pricing. The serving size is 1"x2"x4" which is a good size serving for anyone.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 5

Ignore the "party" serving. A serving of cake is 1"x2"x4". I someone wants to serve bigger pieces, then they order more cake. For example, if someone wants to serve 2"x2"x4" pieces (which is HUGE), then they would need to order twice the amount of cake.

9" round serves 30 -- (4.5 x 4.5 x 3.14) / 2 = 30
12" round serves 56 -- (6 x 6 x 3.14) / 2 = 56
Total: 86.

Unless you plan on serving larger pieces than 1"x2"x4", a 9" and a 12" is plenty for 50 adults and 25 kids.

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks! I was going to make cupcakes for the kids but that sounds like it would be WAY too much.

I'm going to be at the party and will probably help cut the cake. I read some cutting instructions that suggested diassembling the cake and cutting the bigger tier first. The cake will likely be cut in front of everyone so how do you disassemble it 'nicely' - where do you put the smaller (9") tier while you're cutting?
Thanks!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 5

Just pick up the top tier, using the cake board as what you're holding on to and set it to the side.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%