Fondant Going Sticky?

Decorating By LouRogerson Updated 2 Oct 2009 , 8:19pm by tonimarie

LouRogerson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LouRogerson Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 6

Hi

I've started my hands at cake decorating on spare weekends and had a bit of a problem with my last cake. The cake was originally frozen and left to defrost for a day before icing - when I covered it in buttercream it felt dry, had more moisture than before I froze it but expected that. I left the buttercream to dry for about 4 hours before then covering the cake in a ready to roll white fondant icing, coloured pink with red gum paste and left to dry overnight.

The following day it was fine but the second day, in a sealed cake caddy, the icing had started to go very sticky.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, I'm thinking it's one of the following reasons:
1. Because I used a previously frozen sponge
2. I placed the icing ontop of buttercream instead of a sticky jam layer
3. The icing was too moist from using the gum paste.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Louise

5 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:31pm
post #2 of 6

Because you had it sealed in a cake caddy it allowed moisture to accumulate, which makes fondant a sticky gooey mess. Bascially it became a humid environment for the fondant.

next time if you feel the need to cover it, just put it in a box and close the lid. Air still circulates around that and it would be ok

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 10:54am
post #3 of 6

I totally agree with MnSnow. Fondant in cake caddies never mix. Previously frozen cake and buttercream are not normally issues with fondant.

But I'm very curious... You used red gumpaste to color your fondant to cover the cake? As in the gumpaste used for making flowers? I'm pretty new to this myself, but I've never heard of doing that. Wouldn't gumpaste make it dry too hard to cut? (obviously not the problem in this particular situation with the cake caddy sticky mess issue...)

Or maybe it's just terminology I'm not familiar with yet... Sorry, I'm still learning and trying to soak up as much information as I can!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 11:21am
post #4 of 6

I made what "I" think is such a cute National Guard cake for my son, and was able to take off the beret for him to keep at work. He called me the next day to tell me it was a gunky mess. Yep, he thought he had to refrigerate the fondant beret.

Had to throw it out.
DO NOT REFRIGERATE fondant!! He learned the hard way. I'm so sad that beret is gone.

chouxchoux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chouxchoux Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 1:27pm
post #5 of 6

vicky...God bless you and your son. on tv they are always putting the fondant cakes in the fridge. what is their secret?

tonimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonimarie Posted 2 Oct 2009 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 6

as many have said above it was the caddy, I had the same thing happen 2 weeks ago with my son's birthday cake leftovers....until it happened I didn't know you weren't suppose to seal them up. as for refridgerating fondant, I do believe it depends on the brand....I use satin ice, and put it in the fridge all the time with no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%