Fondant Too Sticky?

Decorating By ErinEH Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 1:43pm by beachcakes

ErinEH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ErinEH Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 3

This is my first time working with fondant (Wilton Course 3), I've got the colors that I want for my cake, but am unsure about finishing up the prep work. I am using a daisy shaped cutter, but I cannot get a clear cut out, and the fondant sticks to the cutter itself. Of course, when I try and get it out it warps the shape. Also, should I let my shapes dry before I have to attach them to the cake or place them on before they have set? Does it even matter? I would like some 3-D and 2-D elements

2 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:52am
post #2 of 3

When you cut out your shape, kind of jiggle the cutter back and forth on the table while you cut. You can also turn it over and run your roller over the fondant and cutting side of the shape to help with clean edges. To help stop sticking, pat your cutter on your corn starch pouch.

HTH, icon_smile.gif
Pat

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 3

I liberally dust the work surface and the fondant with powdered sugar before cutting. If the jiggling that plbennett_8 mentioned doesn't work, flip it over and run your finger around the edge of the cutter, this gives you clean edges and helps release it. or you can use a soft paintbrush to push it through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%