Air Pocket Under Fondant

Decorating By kandyc10 Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 3:31am by GenGen

kandyc10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyc10 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 12

I am a newbi and was excited when I finally finished my first fondant cake on Sunday icon_biggrin.gif . When I came home from work on Monday I discovered a huge air pocket icon_sad.gif . I don't know what went wrong. I do know that my bc had not crusted yet,hoping it would be ok, and it is mmf. Maybe the figurines I have on top might have something to do with it. I am supposed to make a cake for my mother to take to work w/her next week. It will be my 1st offical cake order, yeah! I really need to get this kink worked out. It is in my pictures if that would help. Any thoughts?

11 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #2 of 12

Happens alot. Just take a pin and insert it into the air bubble and gently push the air out.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:30am
post #3 of 12

How long before you covered it with fondant did you bake the cake? Cakes have gases that need to escape after baking, and if you cover it too soon that can make an air bubble. Another thing that can cause a bulge is the buttercream falling off the side of the cake under the fondant, or the filling squishing out from between the layers. When the frosting falls off, the bulge is at the bottom of the cake.

Do you have a picture of the cake after it developed the air pocket?

kandyc10 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 12

I don't unfortunatly. It was on the top. I baked it, let it cool at room temp for 2-3 hours. Then I put in freezer for at least 3 hours. Then I bc and put in fridge for 15-20 min. then covered in fondant. I did try a pin but the pocket was so big that it looked like the fondant had stretched then hardned some and the pin prick was too little too late lol.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #5 of 12

I had this problem this weekend. So frustrating! I find that the pin-prick method doesn't work because the fondant has dried a bit and when it's pressed down it get's all uneven/bumpy and looks worse... I ended up re-covering.

kandyc10 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:48am
post #6 of 12

Yes, thats what scares me. I make a cake, it seems ok and 15 hours later it's not. It is frustrating! Thank goodness is was practice.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #7 of 12

I feel your pain! When my cakes are due, I'm up by 6 just to check them! And that's going to sleep at 4am....Ugh!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:55am
post #8 of 12

I would skip freezing the cake, if it's possible, and bake the day before you're going to put the fondant on.

kandyc10 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:58am
post #9 of 12

I agree, I don't think I gained anything from freezing it. Thanks for all the advise

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #10 of 12

you might at least want to chill the cake for a few hours in the fridge.. If you freeze it it needs to be completely thawed.. I think the condensation is what may have caused the bubble

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:12am
post #11 of 12

It's fine to freeze the cake, makes crumbcoating easier, but then you have to let your cake unthaw and crust up. Depending on the size of your cake it takes up to 2 hours for this to happen. I, too, rushed this process on Sunday for my engagement cake and ended up having to pop the pocket and resmooth. Thank goodness not much time had passed but it still made my top tier kinda lumpy. So my advice is to try not to rush the crusting/thawing process.

Cat

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:31am
post #12 of 12

the problem i had with covering with mmf on a cake that wasn't completely thawed was the center part of the mmf got really "wet" took a while for it to start drying but i was off the hook with this area as i had to cover it anyway... didn't get any airbubbles thankfully

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%