Diabetic Cake Question?????

Baking By Lisaa1996 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 1:45am by Lisaa1996

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 3

I was asked to make a diabetic cake for a gentleman's 60th birthday. I have a cake recipe and icing recipe from this site that sound good but I like to use gumpaste and /or fondant on my cakes too. Is their a sugar-free recipe for those? What do others of you use for decorating daibetic cakes? I am not real good with icing flowers and would rather use fondant icon_smile.gif
Thanks!

2 replies
Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisaa1996

I was asked to make a diabetic cake for a gentleman's 60th birthday. I have a cake recipe and icing recipe from this site that sound good but I like to use gumpaste and /or fondant on my cakes too. Is their a sugar-free recipe for those? What do others of you use for decorating daibetic cakes? I am not real good with icing flowers and would rather use fondant icon_smile.gif
Thanks!

When it comes down to it, there is no sugar free cake. Sugar is not the real issue...it is carbohydrates and all cakes have carbs.

Since both gum paste and fondant are primarily powdered sugar, I doubt there is any thing you can sub for them.

That said, you can make a pretty good, nearly carb free icing using 3 cups of whipping cream and a box of sugar-free pudding mix. This forms a thick-mousse like icing that tastes very good to! Just keep the cake refrigerated.

Lisaa1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisaa1996 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #3 of 3

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%