Gingerbread House Windows

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 8:22pm by Writecakes

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 5

I've been doing online searches all morning but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. I'm trying to figure out how to do clear windows in a gingerbread house using edible material. I want to be able to see the scene inside clearly. Is that possible, or do all the methods dry a bit foggy? Thanks so much for any input. This is for my first contest and I'm working hard to make it just right icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 5

I use gelatin for the lenses in eyeglasses and it works perfectly. You just have to pour it thin enough. I pour mine in the bottom of a pyrex dish so it covers the bottom (barely) and then when it's dry - just cut with a pair of scissors to the size you want. They dry perfectly clear - in fact I have to tell people there are lenses in the glasses because they think there is nothing there! HTH

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 5

For my gb house windows, I took hard candy and crushed it with a rolling pin. Place it on a foil lined cookie sheet and heat it in the oven until it melts together completely......350 degrees about 5 min

Allow to cool and peel off the foil. I attached it using royal icing from the inside of the house. So you'll want to do that before you put the roof on.

Don't make it in one huge piece, make one for each window....a little larger then the cutout of the window so you'll have something to "glue".

HTH

If you need me to clarify it for you just PM me. It looks really pretty if you use butterscotch candy, it sort of looks like there are lights on inside the house and it has that nice golden glow.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 5

Isomalt sugar works really well for this, but it's expensive, so try cooking some regular sugar to hard crack stage and see how that works.

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so very much - this is exactly the info I was looking for icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%