Totally Screwed Myself ~ Live An Learn...lol

Business By cakesdivine Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm by Auryn

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 6

This past Sunday was going to be my first monthly sampling event since I decided no more individual ones due to the cancellation rate.

Well I only had one bride RSVP for the event and when she called I was driving down the road so no way to take her info, but since it was an open sampling event, I didn't worry too much.

Well Saturday kicked my butt and we had company that I wasn't expecting either (long story), so I didn't get all the baking done for the sampling that I wanted so I was going to wake up early and get it done. So I go to my commercial kitchen and start unloading when I get a voice mail from a bride named Maria that stated that she wouldn't be coming for the sampling. Now I am thinking that I didn't remember this bride being hispanic (which by her voice and name certainly was). So here I am thinking...well if this bride isn't going to show why am I spending the money to do this today, and I was so tired and then got a call from my mom about my grandfather going again to the hospital. So I packed up and left and went back home but put a sign on the door of my dance studio (where I was going to hold the sampling) that the event was cancelled due to a family emergency. Went to check on my grandfather but was home in time to do the event if necessary. I did put on the sign just in case anyone came as it was an open event, to call me to schedule a private sampling free of charge (my private samplings are now at a fee) for the inconvenience.

Well at about an hour after the event would have ended I get another voicemail from a different bride. She was very upset about the cancelling and she had brought several people with her (eventhough I tell everyone no more than 3 people and no children allowed). I recognized her voice and then remembered her name once she said it on the voicemail. I tried calling her back immediately to tell her I could meet her back up there in an hour if that was doable for her, but her phone went straight to voicemail, I packed all that I had up and called her again before heading out and she seemed so aloof, cold and I could tell in her voice that she probably already went with someone else, which is fine I totally understand, but was hoping that if that was the case she would tell me so. The horrible thing is she was referred to me by a venue I have never been to before but the event coordinator at that venue had been to a wedding that I did the cake and she sought me out purposefully.

So I learned 2 things~1. Something is wrong with my dang cell phone since everything was going to voicemail instead of ringing, and 2. Never assume that no one will come to an open event if they didn't RSVP, just do the darn event regardless of what other circumstances are going on! Ugh. I am so mad at myself right now ~ dang it! icon_sad.gif

5 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:19pm
post #2 of 6

Awww... man! That sucks! But I would think that the bride would be a little bit more understanding since you put a family emergency sign on the door.
I'm sure that it will all work out in the end (maybe not with that bride in particular) but with other brides etc.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 6

sorry that happened to you. I find that most people never rsvp, even when I have big parties etc. What is wrong with people, have they no concept of manners or what rsvp means? Sorry to vent but I feel your pain.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 6

I shouldn't have cancelled the event. The odd thing is that a bride who DIDN'T RSVP with me called to say she couldn't make it (she must have thought she had rsvp'd or got me confused with some other decorator with whom she did have an appointment). I just assumed it was the same bride eventhough something deep down was telling me that NO this is NOT the bride I had spoken with about the event. But you know what they say about things that we assume...and I certainly made an a$$ out of myself on this one!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 6

when you get really really busy, sometimes things like this happen....it is hard as heck to keep up with everything when you are a 1 man show.

mistakes and accidents happen....a few months ago i had a break in...they stole my cameras and all my cash, and messed around with my stuff...

for the next few weeks i had peeps coming in for cakes i didn't have an order for...i guess the robbers messed with my order board...frustrating, but you gotta do the best you can and go on.

it looks like they should have had more grace for you, your note did say you had a family emergancy.

a couple yeras ago my son was almost killed, i had to put a note with "family emergency" on my door...he was in icu in another state and i had to go.

anyhoo....the customers all got over it, after i explained....it's gonna be ok.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 6

I am sorry about your grandfather.
Don't sweat it too much about the grumpy bride, seems like you might have dodged a bullet with a PITA bride who 1- can't follow or respect instructions (brought a bunch of people to the even even though it specifically states a max of 3), 2- has no concept of scheduling - even though its an open event common sense would dictate that you call and let them know you are coming so they can plan the food and 3 is obviously a bridezilla since she thinks she is more important than your family emergency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%