Credit?? A Little Disheartened!! :(

Decorating By xkfayex Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 2:27am by adven68

ApplegumKitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumKitchen Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 9:56pm
post #31 of 37

Don't feel bad - I think most of what you are feeling is because you are only 20 years of age - don't we all remember what it was like to think the whole world revolved around you! Don't take this the wrong way - I'm just meaning that.......- in a few years you will possibly read all this back again and think .....WTF was I thinking??? you will soon discover that there are so many more important issues in the world -

Oh to have so little to worry about that the thought of somebody MAYBE copying your cake .... becomes a major focus in your life.

Think of the alternative ........ your cake could have been so butt ugly that nobody wanted to copy it

Oh dear ..... that did sound nasty icon_redface.gif but seriously - get back to caking! it is far more productive icon_biggrin.gif

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:12pm
post #32 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

Don't feel bad - I think most of what you are feeling is because you are only 20 years of age - don't we all remember what it was like to think the whole world revolved around you! Don't take this the wrong way - I'm just meaning that.......- in a few years you will possibly read all this back again and think .....WTF was I thinking??? you will soon discover that there are so many more important issues in the world -

Oh to have so little to worry about that the thought of somebody MAYBE copying your cake .... becomes a major focus in your life.

Think of the alternative ........ your cake could have been so butt ugly that nobody wanted to copy it

Oh dear ..... that did sound nasty icon_redface.gif but seriously - get back to caking! it is far more productive icon_biggrin.gif

Yup. You hit the nail on the head. thumbs_up.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #33 of 37

Don't feel bad,like I said I felt the same way when it happened to me.
I even posted about it and got the same response as you have.

And I won't lie some times when I search the gallery for copies of my cakes I still feel a little put out when I see "my" cake represented as someone else orginal design. And it really stings when the cake has comments like " how orginal" "wow love your design" and "you're so creative".
Well actually no it's not an orginal and they are not creative, it's my design mine mine mine!
So after I throw my miny internal hissy fit I get over it .

It's normal, those cakes are our babies and we put so much time and effort into them, and we are only human and we love to be appreciated and praised for a job well done.

But this is the real world and we don't always get what we want.

So do your best and try not to let it get to you because at the end of the day if your cake design was copied it is because it rocked.
No one ever looks at a cake and says "thats the ugliest cake I've ever seen, it's horrible, I must copy it!"

Just be glad you do work good enough for replication.

p.s. please ignore all my misspelled words, just don't feel up to spell checking today icon_redface.gif
icon_redface.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 10:19pm
post #34 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkfayex

does it change your mind at all that this particular person pm'd me asking how i made the cake??

theres a difference in thinking about it and actually doing it. being the first to do something is how people because known for what they do. i definitely would not have a problem with someone replicating a cake i had made. but in this particular case it was a little bit of a knife in the back and i would just think this person would have lent a little credit solely based on the fact she had to come to me and ask me how i did the cake.

And that's the rest of the story... Sorry I couldn't resist the Paul Harvey moment. (oh goodness did I just show my age?)

My reply to the original post would have been:

More often than not I wont search for cakes similar to the theme of the cake I do. Its to avoid the she copied my idea. My work is my own 100%. If someone comes to me with a Kerry Vincent book, a Pink Cake box picture etc. I tell them that I dont replicate the work of another and wont try to do an identical copy of it but I will take the elements they like from the cake as well as a few other ideas they have/want and give them their own custom look on a cake.

Besides with tens of thousands people around the world doing cakes its not going to be unheard of for more than two of them to come up with their own look/idea thinking its never been done only to find out its been done by hundreds or thousands of others thinking the same thing. With Geico being shoved down our throats at ever commercial break day and night its definitely not going to be unheard of for people to do the cake with out looking at another decorators cake and have them almost identical. (I do love the commercials but seriously, I see them 50 to 100 times a day/night and their commercials get old fast just like Freecreditreport.com commercials, cute the first 10 times old the 11th time in a day you see it)

My reply with your rest of the story post:

It is always nice to say in a comment here I couldnt have done this cake with out the help and advice of _________ whos cake gave me the inspiration to do mine this way. Thats living in the perfect world of cake decorating.

Some people just dont think to give credit. Its not intentional, its not to take the glory from the original person its just an over sight.
Then there are those that will gleen all they can from you and not reveal to people who helped them because they want all the fawning and praise for their work . They want the spotlight and the glory.

Its no different than other topics that come up here (scratch/box or unlicensed/licensed). Theres a right thing to do and theres a wrong thing to do and each person has to live with their decision.

Theres no way to tell if it was an accidental oversight or an on purpose to slight you. Its one of those things to file under things happen.
You cant change others actions, but you can control your reactions to situations like this.

If this happens next time instead of pointing them out to the general CC public via a thread about it (intentionally or not) just post in the comment section when you see the cake It was a pleasure to be able to answer your questions on how I did mine so you could do yours in a similar/same way. Your cake looks great! thumbs_up.gif

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:41am
post #35 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

You are so wise! thumbs_up.gif

And I do have to apologize. I must have missed the part about the OP's age. If the OP is indeed only 20, then as a mom of a 20-year-old, I hope I was not too harsh. I thought I was talking to an adult. Duh, me, for assuming! But life is a learning experience and who has more to learn than someone who is 20....or 40....or 60. Yup, we all do.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 1:22am
post #36 of 37

It has been said that "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery". Take it like that.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:27am
post #37 of 37

Cute cake....but having said that.... If you told me that you sketched an original drawing & someone copied it & claimed it as their own, I would totally sympathize.....but, you can't believe that you are the only to turn such a well know icon into a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%