Can I Use A Hand Mixer To Make Buttercream?

Decorating By happy1mom Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 7:22pm by Jeff_Arnett

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 5

From what I've gathered, air is buttercream's enemy, yes? So, is it even possible to make a good batch of bc using a hand mixer? I've read that you should beat the bc for 15 minutes in a mixer with a paddle. That seems like an awful lot of air being beat into the bc if using a hand mixer. Should I attempt, or would it just be a waste of time/ingredients? Thanks for any input!

4 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 5

The key is to beat it on a low speed.....I don't see why you couldn't use a hand mixer with a beater attachment.

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 5

I used to make mine with a hand mixer and it turned out just fine. The recipe I use said to beat it for a full 6 minutes though. That is what I do with my KA stand mixer also.

happy1mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy1mom Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks! Off to the kitchen and hand mixer I go! icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1mom

From what I've gathered, air is buttercream's enemy, yes? So, is it even possible to make a good batch of bc using a hand mixer? I've read that you should beat the bc for 15 minutes in a mixer with a paddle. That seems like an awful lot of air being beat into the bc if using a hand mixer. Should I attempt, or would it just be a waste of time/ingredients? Thanks for any input!

You sure can! I had a friend who was in the decorating business [home based] for about 20 years and she made her icing with a hand mixer all the time. The recipe she used was:

1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 cup nearly boiling water
2 teaspoons clear vanilla extract
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

She mixed her shortening and flavorings together first. Then mixed in the flour. Then added all the sugar and about 1/4 cup of the nearly boiling water. Mixed on low with a hand mixer until smooth, adding more water a tablespoon at a time as needed.

I make my icing on Sunday evenings in a 20 quart mixer. When I am ready to ice a cake, I rebeat a portion using my Sunbeam Mixmaster two beater stand mixer until very smooth.....there are no air bubbles and it's smooth as silk.

You can see some of my cakes up close to see the icing [including some I've iced to look like fondant....I made my own curved smoother for this purpose . Check out Elizabeth's Roses...it is all buttercream, not fondant.

Go to www.webshots.com and search for "jsarnett".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%