How Do I Keep My Strawberries From Sinking In Batter?

Baking By StandingForJesus Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 4:42am by StandingForJesus

StandingForJesus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StandingForJesus Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:40am
post #1 of 5

Would anyone happen to know what I can do to keep my strawberries from sinking in the batter. I have someone who wants me to add fresh strawberries into their cake. I know from past experience's the strawberries sink and I feel like this is something simple, but I really have no clue. Thanks for taking the time to read and helping if you can.

4 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:45am
post #2 of 5

I wish I had that problem....my son and grandson eat the strawberries off the cake before I can serve the first slice...but you said in batter....I don't put fresh in the batter myself

sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 6:33am
post #3 of 5

I know with some berries (like blueberries) you can toss them in a little flour before adding them to the batter and that apparently stops them from sinking too much. Haven't done it myself.

Just be aware that fresh strawberries will release their juice and can make a cake soggy. If they're close to the surface the juice leeches out and can effect your icing.

HTH
Emma

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StandingForJesus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StandingForJesus Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 4:42am
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much Emma & Jan. I had actually wondered myself about tossing them in flour, but wasn't sure if that would work or not. I love those recipes you sent Jan, I've printed them all and will try them all and decide which one I like best. I think I'll try one of those rather than the tossing for this cake and try that tossing thing on my own family. They love being my taste testers. If you seen my DH's belly, you'd see how much.....LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%