Ribbon On Buttercream?

Decorating By tracimarie Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 1:18pm by indydebi

tracimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracimarie Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:05am
post #1 of 3

Is it ok to wrap ribbon around a buttercream cake? Does the grease from the icing stain the ribbon. Also, how do I secure the ribbon? I'm doing a wedding cake for a friend in two days and it just now dawned on me that this might not work! Thanks

2 replies
Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:29am
post #2 of 3

Many people do but I don't like using inedible things on my cake. I'd rather use fondant ribbon.

Anyways, if you want to use it, just line the back of the ribbon with packaging tape and then overlap both ends and then use double sided tape to secure it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 3

If you're using a good crusting BC, just wait until the icing crusts, thenwrap the ribbon. The soak-thru is caused when moisture from the icing comes in contact with the ribbon. No moisture .... no soak-thru. I just glue the two end pieces together in the back of the cake using a blop of BC. That's the only spot where you might have soak-thru.

HEre's a cake I just delivered yesterday: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1472398 I iced it Friday then wrapped the ribbon Saturday morning. This ribbon was not the usual material that I normally use and it was more susceptible (sp? looks funny!) to soak-thru, but not a spot anywhere!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%