Storing A Cake In The Refrigerator

Decorating By scratchdog Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 3:20pm by catlharper

scratchdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scratchdog Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:27am
post #1 of 11

After you ice a cake do you have to cover it with fondant right away? Also can a cake that is covered with fondant go in the refrigerator or does it sweat?

10 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 11

scratchdog, welcome to CC
I never put my fondant covered anything in the fridge, it will sweat. but some members do and they have no problems. I just don't have luck with it in the fridge.
I let my cake settle a few hours then put the fondant on. If the icing is too dry, I brush a little mixture of corn syrup and water on. Use a very light touch for that. HTH

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 11

I use the fridge for everything. icon_smile.gif I have two "just for cakes". Both with locks...since I have four boys. haha.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:00am
post #4 of 11

lol Kitagrl, boys gotta love em

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:01am
post #5 of 11

ALL of my cakes go into the fridge. It's how you treat them after you take them out that matters. If people would leave the poor things alone for about an hour, the condensation goes awy and you never knew it was in there. It's when people start wiping at it and panic that's when the trouble starts.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:03am
post #6 of 11

When first learning to do fondant I was told that you have to let your buttercream crust up before you can place the fondant on. So I fill, ice and then let it set for at least two hours (in a fridge if the filling is perishable) and then cover it with fondant. I have no idea if this applies to ganache or not, never tried that.

Question for anyone who has done ganache for the crumb coat....do you make white chocolate ganache for a cake using white fondant? If not, does the dark chocolate show thru?

thanx!
Cat

scratchdog Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 11

ok so after I ice the cake I should let it sit for a couple of hours before I cover it with the fondant? Are you crumb coating then icing? I always see on the cake shows just crumb coat then fondant.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:20pm
post #8 of 11

I like to refrigerate before doing fondant because then the icing is nice and firm and its easier to smooth the fondant.

scratchdog Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:36pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks so much I am self taught so this is very helpful. I was icing and putting the fondant on right away so it never looked right. I would have waves under the fondant. After I take it out just leave it on the counter for a couple of hrs? then cover. I just ordered a dvd from sugared hopefully that helps me.

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 11

I have used chocolate ganache under white fondant without any problems.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:20pm
post #11 of 11

With fondant all you need to do is crumbcoat a VERY thin coating of smooth buttercream. You don't want a whole bunch of icing on the cake before putting the fondant on. And, yes, you want to let it crust up nice and firm before placing the fondant on it.

Good luck!
Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%