You Guys Will Probably Laugh!

Decorating By tarascupcakes Updated 8 Oct 2009 , 3:33am by AndreaHalley

tarascupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarascupcakes Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 4

I made 10 stamens for calla lillies I'm making for a wedding cake this coming weekend. They were great. Great shape, great color, I brushed them with vodka and rolled them in kosher salt for texture ( I heard or read about this technique somewhere). Then we had to take a quick 24 hour trip out of town, so I turned down our air conditioning and when we returned the house was 82 degrees. All my other pieces were fine, but the stamens that were on wires, sticking up out of my foam and of course rolles in salt, had melted! I KNOW salt melts ice, but I have made these the same way before and they were fine. I assume it was the humidity in addition to the salt. However, thinking back, when I made them last time, it was for an outdoor event and it was hot and they didn't melt then. IDK. I guess I'll be using sugar from now on. Has this happened to anyone else? I really hate learning the hard way! TIA.

3 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 4

You're from Greensboro, and you don't use grits for texture on calla stamens?icon_lol.gif

Anyway, that's what I use. I mix some petal dust into the grits to brighten the color.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #3 of 4

ground rice with powdered food coloring works very well!

AndreaHalley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreaHalley Posted 8 Oct 2009 , 3:33am
post #4 of 4

I had the same mistake once so I'm not laughing at you icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%