Wooden Barrel Cake...

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 10:04am by janebrophy

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:45am
post #1 of 6

Just wondering if anyone would share the secret to getting a nice raised top edge on a wooden barrel cake...They all have such a great lip on them, perfect for filling with ice & beer! icon_smile.gif
TIA!!

5 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #2 of 6

Someone else might have a better idea, but I'd cover the cake with a thin layer of white fondant...then take a thick layer of brown fondant and wrap the barrel, leaving a ledge on top...use paper towel or saran wrap to prop the edges until dry enough to stand on its own. Or several cake circles or something.

Or you can even cut fondant boards individually and place on the cake, once its covered with a first layer of fondant...again letting the top inch or two stand up and dry a bit.

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:49am
post #3 of 6

Thanks

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:09am
post #4 of 6

On mine I cut my fondant "boards" and grained them and painted them, let them dry and then attached them to my cake. They are taller than my cake so it leaves room. I put a piece of parchment paper cut to the size of the top of my cake on top of my cake. Then I put a disposable cake pan on top of that and fill it with my "ice". As for the beer, I scruched up plastic wrap and placed behind the bottles for support so they didn't break my fondant. (I used real beer so it was heavier).

Sweet_Treats_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Treats_1 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:44am
post #5 of 6

patticakesnc

That is a good idea. Im going to try this . Thanks

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 10:04am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the advice, I posted just before bed, sorry it took me so long!! Wish me luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%