9.25.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm by CakeandDazzle

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:14am
post #31 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycakes

Well I'm just checking in -- I'm finishing up a 5 tier wedding cake, actually marking the SPS plates and supports --
for ------- my daughter's wedding tomorrow!!

Plus the grooms cake is finished - which is a 3D barn, silo and grain bins -- except for assembly the different pieces on a large plywood board and applying green royal icing for the grass effect.

Keep me going FNCC friends! It's been a long, long, long week!!

Suze

Wow!!!! Congrats!!! Have a blast at the wedding tomorrow...that's so exciting! icon_biggrin.gif I can't wait to see the final product!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:16am
post #32 of 60

Good luck Suze! Can't wait to see the photos!

As for me, delivered the cheeseburger cake yesterday to "is it real???" responses (that's worth all the work right there) and have an engagement cake due for Sunday night...gotta start on the lemon leaves tomorrow morning so they will be firm enough to go on the cake when I need them. So night off tonight, just hanging out.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:22am
post #33 of 60

Tracy, how on earth do you ganache on site????

I bow to your greatness.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:32am
post #34 of 60

i don't have anything tonight last Friday I made a barnyard theme cake for a 1st birthday I had a lot of fun making it my friend loved it, her baby giggled when he saw it and kept pointing at all the animals on the cake tonight I'm cleaning house and decide to check in on FNCC

Molly

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:40am
post #35 of 60

I have a cake room and library. It's actually the small spare bedroom, where I keep all the books and a lot of the tools, etc, I do not use on a regular basis.

I've spent the past two hours re-organizing it. I've got another two hours to go, but that will wait until tomorrow.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:47am
post #36 of 60

so what can I use to dimple a bc basketball?

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 4:57am
post #37 of 60

No cakes for me tonight, but I am working on several dummy cakes and gumpaste decorations to use for display for a bounty festival next weekend.

leah_s: what about using a handful of flower stamens to makea bunch of dimples all at once???

leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:14am
post #38 of 60

hmmm . . . will do a test

Groom's cake is done, except for possible dimpling. Had to stop to make more icing.

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:15am
post #39 of 60

Leah-- do you have one of those handheld zester things? You know the kind that gives you really fine zest.
Maybe try that?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:16am
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

so what can I use to dimple a bc basketball?

cheap paper towel with the bumps all over

or a grater

Theresa icon_smile.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:20am
post #41 of 60

this is the first thing that popped into my mind (granted, that's not always saying much icon_rolleyes.gif ). maybe hot glue a section of bead type things (actual beads or maybe dragees? just something small and round) onto something like cardstock? and then use it as kind of a stamp?

that's the crafter in me coming out -- it's probably not very practical, but that's one idea. maybe you can roll with something in that direction?

adree313 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:31am
post #42 of 60

or, maybe a handful of small paint brushes. the non-brush end. kind of like the stamen thing that someone else mentioned.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:36am
post #43 of 60

Oh, I am so jealous!
I'm a native New Yorker and watching his show makes me so homesick!
I'm sure it was a wonderful talk!

Quote:

I just got back from hearing Anthony Bourdain giving a talk. It was - well everything you might imagine.

So I'm *starting* to decorate the first of two wedding cakes and one groom's cake.

korensmommy Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:39am
post #44 of 60

I'm finally able to check in with the FNCC and it's Saturday already!!
I've completed 3 orders - started at 7:30p and was able to finish and completely clean up (that's the hardest part for me!) by midnight.

I had:
2 dz cupcakes topped with a fondant 'S'
30 popcorn cupcakes - I will NEVER do those again!
2 tiered ladybug cake w/20 cupcakes

Here is a bad picture of my popcorn cupcake. I was afraid I was going to run out of marshmallows in the beginning and went back and added more marshmallows at the end.
LL

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:45am
post #45 of 60

those are sooo cute icon_smile.gif

korensmommy Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:50am
post #46 of 60

Thanks! They look much better with more marshmallows but I am too tired to take another picture - just enjoying my 2nd glass of wine......

This is my 1st time making them so I charged $3 each. I will probably charge $3.50 if I can forget how much work they were and take another order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

those are sooo cute icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 5:59am
post #47 of 60

hmmm . . . will test a few of these before I actually do it on the cake.

adree313 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:07am
post #48 of 60

let us know which one works best thumbs_up.gif

those popcorn cupcakes are ADORABLE! i want some icon_smile.gif

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:12am
post #49 of 60

I'm off to bed. Totally bummed, this car cake is not good. Not good at all. Hopefully after I sleep I can think of something to make it better.

G'night all!

CakeandDazzle Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:55am
post #50 of 60

I am still up... anyone else?? i have 20 more square cakes to ice... will cover in fondant in the am and do the flowers... i am soo tired i want to throw up 20 more, only 20....

leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 7:27am
post #51 of 60

Hi Dazzle
::waves::

I'm just starting to decorate the 5 tier. Just dots, so it should go quickly. But the kitchen looks like an icing storm hit.

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 7:56am
post #52 of 60

I have a 25 cupcake order, an Elmo cake and 600 samples for a competition tomorrow then as soon as the comp is over tomorrow eveing I am hoping in my car for a 7 hour drive to Ocala Fl to go to the day of shareing..Im excited I have never been to a day of sharing so I don't know what to expect. icon_smile.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:13pm
post #53 of 60
Quote:

Hi Dazzle
::waves::

I'm just starting to decorate the 5 tier. Just dots, so it should go quickly. But the kitchen looks like an icing storm hit.

Thats alright! Last night a poured fondant bomb exploded in my kitchen! I wish I had a tiered cake instead of these stupid minis.... if anyone every asks for them again, base price $12 per serving... maybe more....

mwest110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mwest110 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:50pm
post #54 of 60

Only one cake this weekend. Sadly, it's my own birthday cake. icon_sad.gif

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm
post #55 of 60

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (sept-27) same day as my sister. HAPPY BIRTHDAY

leah_s Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:10pm
post #56 of 60

The bundle of stamens worked great for dimpling the basketball. Good idea! And also thanks for the other suggestions. No lack of creativity around here.

CakeandDazzle Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm
post #57 of 60

OMG I am done!! DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1 hour early!!!!!!!!!!! I am pleasantly surprised on how the turned out... kinda cute and looking not tooooo bad!! Hoping she likes them! Last step and I never have to look at a 2x2x1 squares (100) of orange cake with chocolate fillin...g, frosted, cover in poured fondant with two flowers (green & pink) and pearls, every again in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:26am
post #58 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeandDazzle

OMG I am done!! DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1 hour early!!!!!!!!!!! I am pleasantly surprised on how the turned out... kinda cute and looking not tooooo bad!! Hoping she likes them! Last step and I never have to look at a 2x2x1 squares (100) of orange cake with chocolate fillin...g, frosted, cover in poured fondant with two flowers (green & pink) and pearls, every again in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELL DID YOU TAKE PICS?? OR DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE SOME MORE TO SHOW US ???? LOL ~~JUST KIDDING!

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 6:51am
post #59 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaLuvCake

I'm off this weekend (as far as cake goes) Going to a wedding tomorrow to taste someone else's cake. My 10 yr old loves being the cake "critic" LOL Cheers to everyone working late tonight icon_smile.gif

GottaLuvCake, we want cake reviews when you get back!

Sounds like everyone had a crazy busy weekend. typical! As far as the cake review....WOW... this lady has been in the local newspaper several times for her cakes, and the brides step-mother insisted that she wanted to get the cake from this place instead of little ole me (family member) Well, my whole family made a point to tell me how much better my cake is and that i could have done a way better job. IMO, i know i could have!!! First glance it was VERY SIMPLE 5 stacked layers, buttercream, pearl strands (not edible?? i would have so made them edible) black ribbon on the base of each layer. Rhinestone monogram letters for topper. Bulging icing in the center of each tier, i thought it was a filled cake that the filling was bulging out, nope, no filling at all ??? It tasted like commercial buttercream (hint of canned frosting taste to it) well the little that was on it. It was the thinnest layer of icing i have ever seen. I like a little icing with my cake please. The carrot cake looked like spice cake and was very dry, no bits of carrots or raisins ?? The red velvet and chocolate were a little moister but it wasn't tender? if that sounds right it was like swallowing playdoh. Anyway, i could go on....but, I definitely recommend to anyone who EVER gets in a baking slump, needs a boost or asks themselves "is it really worth it?". GO TRY THE COMPETITION
Cheers to another weekend down! icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

CakeandDazzle Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #60 of 60

Ha! no, no pictures!! i had no camera (gave it away and havent found a new one) and quite honestly i never want to see them again!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%