Real Flower Petals On A Cake Question

Decorating By armywife1 Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm by armywife1

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:19pm
post #1 of 8

I've never used real flowers on a cake, only silk. My questions is this: Is it safe to scatter rose petal around the tiers of a cake? I've seen cakes like that, but not sure if there are certain types of roses you can use or are any rose petals ok. TIA

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 8

Rose petals are ok. But you might want to put something in your contract about how you can't be responsible for the pesticides that are used in the flowers and all the other issues that come with using real flowers.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, it's ok, just don't let this happen.....gah!

http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/12/wedding-wrecks.html

armywife1 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 8

hahahaha Jamie.... that is too funny. I haven't been on that site in a while. I always get a good laugh when I do! Thanks for sharing. icon_lol.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 8

Rose petals are edible. Either have a pesticides clause as mentioned above or get organic roses (rinse the petals off well first).

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 5:36am
post #6 of 8

In a cookbook I have (The Essential Baking Cookbook - regarding using pedals on this particular cake), they say to line 2-3 trays with paper towels. Carefully separate the rose pedals, discarding any that very small or blemished (a step obviously forgotten on the cakewrecks blog). Whish egg whites lightly until foamy. Spread some caster sugar on a large plate. Use a small brush to paint the egg white lightly over each pedal - make sure the entire pedal is coated, but not too heavily. Sprinkle the petal with caster sugar, gently shake off excess and place petals on the tray to dry. Leave them for a least 1-2 hours. The drying time will vary according to the weather and humidity. The only thing I would worry about with this recipe is the raw egg whites. EEK.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

In a cookbook I have (The Essential Baking Cookbook - regarding using pedals on this particular cake), they say to line 2-3 trays with paper towels. Carefully separate the rose pedals, discarding any that very small or blemished (a step obviously forgotten on the cakewrecks blog). Whish egg whites lightly until foamy. Spread some caster sugar on a large plate. Use a small brush to paint the egg white lightly over each pedal - make sure the entire pedal is coated, but not too heavily. Sprinkle the petal with caster sugar, gently shake off excess and place petals on the tray to dry. Leave them for a least 1-2 hours. The drying time will vary according to the weather and humidity. The only thing I would worry about with this recipe is the raw egg whites. EEK.

The chances of getting sick from eating a small amount of raw egg whites is negligible, but if it squicks you out, you can always use the pasturized eggs, pasturized egg whites in the carton, or reconstituted dried egg whites or meringue powder (both of which are made with, you guessed it, pasturized egg whites).

armywife1 Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 8

Awesome. Thanks for your help everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%