Burgundy Icing?

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 12:35am by Lita829

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:39pm
post #1 of 10

How can I make a pretty burgundy? I only have the primary americolors here. I can make the drive to the cake supply store if I have too - but it's quite a ways from here and I'd like to save the gas if I can? I know Wilton says to mix red and blue but also states it's a very hard color to get. Has anyone had success making this color? Thank you SO much for your input icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

9 replies
JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 10

Try it. i think that probably sounds right. Or red with a little purple. Can you test it out a little before you color your whole batch? I always take a little fondant or icing and test it first before coloring everything.

I had a hard time with fuschia. I kept getting burgandy. So I dont think burgandy is really hard.

Writecakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you - I'll give it a try icon_smile.gif

tamiscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tamiscakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 10

so how then if i may ask did you get fuscia? thanks

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 10

Maybe you can try rose pink with black in a 3:1 ratio. Here is a pic of a cake I made with burgundy/maroon RI lilies and I used this ratio. I'm not sure if this is the color you are looking for.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1337907

HTH

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

Maybe you can try rose pink with black in a 3:1 ratio. Here is a pic of a cake I made with burgundy/maroon RI lilies and I used this ratio. I'm not sure if this is the color you are looking for.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1337907

HTH

Thats a nice color. I think its maybe more mauve. Its very pretty though.

As far as the fuschia? I never got it. I had to settle for a dark pink. I still havent found a way to get a hot purplish-pink. It turns out burgandy or like a raspberry color.

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 10

I hope everything works out for you with making your color and maybe next time you are out you could pick up the burgundy color, Wilton makes one. princess.gif

Writecakes Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 11:34pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

HTH

Thank you! That is the exact color I'm going for.
What a beautiful cake icon_smile.gif

dorie67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dorie67 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:06am
post #9 of 10

I hope everything works out for you with making your color and maybe next time you are out you could pick up the burgundy color, Wilton makes one. princess.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #10 of 10

Thanks WriteCakes and JCE for the compliments....I'm happy I could help icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%