How Do You Bake A Level Cake

Decorating By cocoa2 Updated 13 Jul 2010 , 4:09am by PiccoloChellie

cocoa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocoa2 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 8

Hello
Anyone out in CC no what do to bake a level cake because I have tried the stripes and they still donât work... help...?

thanks

7 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 8

I bake my cakes in a convention oven and they all come out level. Also, when I spread my batter I tend to move the batter towards the edges more than the center.

It could also depend on your receipe? I make scratch cakes and so far they all bake level.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 8

It also depends on the temp you are baking at. I always bake at 325 in a conventional oven with my homemade bake even strips (strips of terrycloth). My cakes always bake up nice and high to the point where I can level them easily by cutting off the tops while still in the pans.

victorianne_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victorianne_sweets Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:19pm
post #4 of 8

I always use my own homemade bake-even (terry cloth) strips, bake on stonewear (Baker's Secret) cookie sheet, use a flower nail (or 2, or 3) on ALL cakes, and bake at 325F. I never have to level them. The only ones I have to level, are the character-shaped pans I do for my own kids, lol!

schwammrs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schwammrs Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianne_sweets

I always use my own homemade bake-even (terry cloth) strips, bake on stonewear (Baker's Secret) cookie sheet, use a flower nail (or 2, or 3) on ALL cakes, and bake at 325F. I never have to level them. The only ones I have to level, are the character-shaped pans I do for my own kids, lol!

Interesting! Do you preheat the cookie sheet stone? And are you bake-even strips just strips of terry cloth and that's it?!? (I assume you wet them before putting them around the pan...)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 8

You really don't bake a level cake. You level the cake after it's baked. All the tips above are very good for minimizing the dome often created during baking. But leveling is a step that's done to cake after it's baked.

Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #7 of 8

I have a long knife (about 24 inches long) that I use to level my cakes in the pan after they come out the oven.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 13 Jul 2010 , 4:09am
post #8 of 8

Once the batter is in the pans, I drop them a couple times from about 6" up onto the counter to burp out any air bubbles. Then I give them a good spin which pushes the batter towards the outer edge of the pan.
I have the bottom of my gas oven lined with unglazed fireplace bricks which get preheated in the oven for an hour before the cakes go in. Hooray even heat distribution! icon_biggrin.gif
If it's a large cake I use flower nails.
I bake at about 315* which works best in my oven.
Once they're baked and cooled, I generally only need to do a very little bit of trimming the tops to get them level.

As leah_s said, you have to do the leveling yourself, but the above is what works for me to minimize the hump. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%