Smoothing Fondant Seams

Decorating By MandyE Updated 28 Sep 2009 , 3:12pm by MandyE

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a beach ball cake. Literally a cake decorated like a beach ball. I'm putting each color on separately. How do I get smooth seams between my different colors of fondant? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. And fast, as I'm doing it today. icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 4

Plan A: Cut the fondant strips precisely enough to where all of the strips fit snugly together and just smooth the seam with your fingers. The seams will show, but they will be clean.
Plan B: If you don't want to be that detailed in your cutting, color some bc or ri (whichever you have on hand) the colors of your strips, and use the appropriate color to fill in the cracks. Pipe the icing into the seams and smooth with a damp paper towel, like you would grouting tile.

I hope that makes sense.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 4

Oh, and the thing with Plan B is you need to make sure that the icing color matches the fondant exactly.

MandyE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyE Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:12pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks txcupcake! I ended up trying to just match them up and fit snugly together. They weren't all perfect, but it looked pretty good. I forgot my memory card today. Will have to post pics tomorrow.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%