Getting A Business License

Business By Tarielena Updated 26 Sep 2009 , 2:08am by cakesweetiecake

Tarielena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tarielena Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 8

So as I just mentioned on a previous topic, I found a licensed kitchen I am able to use, which is a big load off my mind, as I want to be all legal. So my next question is: do I need to have an official business license before I am "allowed" to sell cakes? Or is it not absolutely necessary legally if I declare the income on taxes etc? I do plan on getting one, I'm just wondering about if I'd be breaking the rules in the mean time?

7 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 8

Never mind.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 8

Here are the things you MUST have in place BEFORE selling even one food item.

DBA or Ficticious Name certificate from your county or parish declaring if you are a sole proprietorship or partnership. This reserves your business name in that county and protects it from being used by other entities.

Sales Tax Permit (depending on state)

MOST IMPORTANT- Your food establishment/manufacturers permit/license this is issued by your governing HD (Health Department) Some states call it Agriculture Dept.

Not all states require it but if they do you will need your Mangers Food Safety course completion certificate

And last but certainly not least although this is optional but super stupid to operate without...LIABILITY INSURANCE

Yes you can get in trouble if you do ANY sales prior to aquiring these items. And usually the renting kitchen won't let you step foot in their facility unless you have all these items as well.

Good Luck with your new venture!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 8

Why would you not incorporate? You need to protect your personal assets such as your home etc. In most states, you can do it right online. You also need a tax id number and that will allow you to buy supplies wholesale. The list goes on and on about why you need to be a legit business plus it may be the law.

Tarielena Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:54am
post #5 of 8

Yes I agree it's necessary and a good idea for all those reasons icon_smile.gif I was simply curious if I could get started as I work on all those steps or still should hold off until the rest is official. I am certainly not considering NOT doing any of those things.

And thanks for the list cakesdivine, I would have a hard time knowing where to start without those.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #6 of 8

Hello,
I am in the same situation as you. I was able to all of the registering online. It was simple and easy.

Good luck!

Tarielena Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:05am
post #7 of 8

Good to know, thanks! I guess I need to stop being intimidated and just get it all over with!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:08am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarielena

Good to know, thanks! I guess I need to stop being intimidated and just get it all over with!

Yup, get over being intimidated and just do it. Believe me, I've had this similar self-talk with myself all week! I KNOW the feeling. LOL! Yesterday, I told myself that I needed to complete it by the end of the day instead of dragging my feet. I am telling you, you will feel so much better once you complete it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%