The Expense Is Killing Me!

Decorating By Lenette Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 5:53pm by kelleym

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:55am
post #1 of 6

I have always covered my dummies with Wilton fondant. I have a bridal show coming up and I need to do several cakes for it. Even with the half off coupons the Wilton fondant cost $10 per package.
It is really adding up when I need to do like 5-7 displays that are 3-4 tiers each.

I tried covering with royal icing once and that was a disaster. Does anyone have ideas for a less expensive covering that will still look good?

I do not have much experience with MMF, I know some here use it a lot. Will that stretch over a styro dummy with tearing??

If I have to just suck it up and buy the Wilton I will. The most important thing to me is that these displays look good.

Thank you for your suggestions. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 6

mmf should work fine.........I've never had any trouble using it on dummy cakes or on real cakes. The recipes on here say to let it rest 24 hrs. but I don't......I make it, knead it and roll it out. The only time I let it rest is once it's rolled out, I'll let it sit and firm up a little for like 10 or 15 minutes if my kitchen is warm or if I have hot hands and it's gone a little too soft.

Cakey1865 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakey1865 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 6

I am covering some dummies right now with mmf and its working great, but I cut the sharp edges off of my dummies, not much just a nip to where its not so sharp...but like i said it seems to work fine for me...But can you tell me how I can attach artifical flowers to it? Can I use just regular glue? Thanks

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks! I will give it a try. Hopefully, I will save some $$$.

As for attaching flowers, if it is for a display cake I don't see any reason why you can't use glue. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 6

For dummies, I recommend ordering the contour edge type from Tay lor F oam.com. No sanding, sawing or tearing fondant.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 6

I cover all my dummies in MMF, no problems whatsoever, and I don't even round off my sharp edges. My MMF costs me a little over $1/lb to make.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%