I Found A Commercial Kitchen - What Should I Know?

Business By Echooo3 Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 1:14am by Echooo3

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:23am
post #1 of 6

I will be meeting with the owner next week. We haven't discussed prices yet. She rents by the hour and also by the month. Downtown Orlando.

There are a total of five that will be using the kitchen.
1- makes candies
2- makes salsa
3- makes hummus
4- makes biscotte (sp?)
5 - would be me to make cakes and cookies

Final inspection by the health dept is tomorrow. What are some things I should consider? I am so very new at this and want to do this badly.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or words of wisdom/caution. I know that God has His hand in this.

Thank you for always helping me get it right. Everyone on CC is the best group of people I have ever met.

5 replies
katefrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefrosting Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:28am
post #2 of 6

Best of luck to you!

Make sure you get all details in writing. Things to consider: hours and days of operation, i.e., closed for any holidays; do you need to carry premises liability insurance; any other insurance coverage; storage space security; ingredients and equipment storage; refrigeration. Do you feel comfortable negotiating the price? When the price is quoted, would you be able to ask if her if she would accept a lower amount? Something like this: The space rents for $500 per month. Is it negotiable? or Would you consider $450?

If you can, speak to an attorney before you finalize anything.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 7:33am
post #3 of 6

Congratulations! Sounds like you have a great set-up. Have you guys thought about who will have the kitchen at what times and for how long?

Echooo3 Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 6

I am meeting with the owner tomorrow. Should I rent by the hour or by the month? What kind of prices should I expect? Will she even give a rip of who I am or what I can do or should I be prepared with a portfolio and references (which I have).

Gosh darn it, I just don't know what to expect. Who has the upper hand (so-to-speak) in this situation? Is it fair to ask for a better rate? or are there soooooo many people looking to rent commercial space that I am a dime a dozen.

Stupid question. Should I take in a tasting of what I bake? What should I wear. This is so dang important to me I just want to do it right.

Thanks for allowing me to be wordy.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #5 of 6

How is the time scheduled, since you are sharing it with 4 other people? Is it first come first serve? Most of your orders will be for the weekend (I'm assuming) so you'll most likely need the space Thurs and Friday. Is that a conflict with anyone else?

Will you have your own key or are you dependent on someone being there to let you in?

Hourly or monthly? Depends on your volume. Just for an example, let's say $500 monthly or $25/hour. $500 buys you 20 hours at the $25 rate. Do you think you'll use more than 20 hours of time? That's just 5 hours a week. If you think you'll use less than 20 hours a month, then go hourly. If you'll use more than 20 hours, go monthly. Do the math when she gives you the number, and know what your volume will be and your time requirement will be.

I wouldn't worry about taking food samples unless you take them just as a "Hi, I"m being a nice new neighbor!" type of thing. I didn't bring cookies to the realtor when I looked at commercial spaces to rent.

Echooo3 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 1:14am
post #6 of 6

indydebi

I love you. You give advice so freely and if I should be as fortunate as you I would "pass it on"

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I wished you lived here and I could be your understudy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%