Sugar Veil

Decorating By kattyann Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 5:16pm by ibmoser

kattyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kattyann Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone worked with Sugar Veil? I am interested in knowing if it can be used to replicate lace and if so, how? I watched one of the many cake shows on TV recently and one of the decorators used it in black and applied it to the side of a cake. I recorded the program and deleted it by mistake! I'm wondering if it is possible to spread it over lace and peel it off after it has cured? Also, how do decorators replicate the lace on bridal gowns to put on cakes? Do they copy the pattern and then send it to someone to make a mold of it? I'm also wanting some wedding looking molds to use for Sugar Veil or fondant. While I'm at it...Where can I go for some intricate patterns to pipe on the sides of cakes? I see alot of petite designs on some of the cakes and wonder where they come up with them.
Since I don't get on the computer too often, I'm trying to get a bunch of questions answered all at once.

Thanks for your help!
Kattyann

6 replies
sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 7

I'm wondering if it is possible to spread it over lace and peel it off after it has cured? You could, but you would get a rather flat pattern with the reverse bumps in it. Usually this is used to pipe on wax paper or parchment and then peeled off and placed on the cake. All you need is the mix and a piping bag. If you're not comfortable with doing it freehand, you can place a picture underneath the wax paper to copy over.

Also, how do decorators replicate the lace on bridal gowns to put on cakes? Dominic from make your own molds sells the putty and all that you need to make a mold of any lace. Once you make your mold, then you can copy it in GP or sugarveil. usually on the sides of cake it's just GP. You can also purchase premade molds if you aren't looking to copy the exact lace on a dress.

I'm also wanting some wedding looking molds to use for Sugar Veil or fondant. Cakes by Sam, Global Sugar ARt, Creative Cutters, etc all carry molds for different lace patterns. They're pretty easy to get from most large suppliers of GP products.

Where can I go for some intricate patterns to pipe on the sides of cakes? A lot of these again are piped free hand, but there are patterns that you can press into the fondant before or after you cover the cake. The ones for after are usually smaller and you can move them around where you want them. The ones you put on before, are impression mats and they are large enough to fit over the fondant and be rolled into the piece. You can also get rollers that have prints on them and roll it into the fondant before you cover the cake. These can also be gotten at major suppliers. If you wait for the ICES convention or other cake shows vendors often bring them and have discounts.
HTH! icon_biggrin.gif

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the info thumbs_up.gif .
Hammy

kattyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kattyann Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your reply! Where can I contact Dominic? Does he have a website? As far as the designs on the side of the cake, I would be comfortable piping freehand, what I want is something I can look at and copy onto the cake. I need some pretty patterns. Should I just go looking for some designs on fabric or needlework patterns?
I'm wondering if I can use the backside of the lace. I'm always looking for something new to try. I'm pretty much self-taught and try to expand my skills whenever I can. I feel I have come a long way since I started 35 years ago! Next week I am going to do a scale replica of a bass guitar for my grandson's birthday. Wish me good luck?

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 7

[quote="sugarnut"]I'm wondering if it is possible to spread it over lace and peel it off after it has cured? You could, but you would get a rather flat pattern with the reverse bumps in it. Usually this is used to pipe on wax paper or parchment and then peeled off and placed on the cake. All you need is the mix and a piping bag. If you're not comfortable with doing it freehand, you can place a picture underneath the wax paper to copy over.

So I do not need the sugar veil machine to create a design. It can be piped from a bag? Please advise.

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:40pm
post #6 of 7

Hi KattyAnn,

Adding to what SugarNut wrote, there's a new SugarVeil Confectionery Mat with a lace design at www.sugarveil.com/mat that we'll have in October (this is a special sneak peek page, so you'll need to type in the address to get to it). You just swipe the mat with SugarVeil, let it set, and then peel lengths of really delicate lace from it. You can also pre-order from that page as well [BTW, here's a special offer our web subscribers got - mention in the "Special Instructions" area of the online ordering form that you'd like the "$174 lace kit", and you'll get the Lace Mat, a 5lb. pail of SugarVeil, the Confectionery Snips, the 12" Spreader, along with a free gift of a hygrometer (tool for measuring humidity) and a mini-spreader]. Here's a picture of the lace on a ganache cake.

We've also got lace patterns you can download for free at [/url]http://www.sugarveil.com/icing_dispenser/design_patterns.htm - you can use SugarVeil in a parchment cone, piping bag, or the Icing Dispenser to trace the patterns under greased parchment paper. Please let me know if I can be of further help - thanks! EmilyG.
LL
LL

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 7

EmilyG - WOW!! Thanks for the information on the new items and special offer. Beautiful lace thumbs_up.gif

Edited to add:
KattyAnn - Dominic is at Makeyourownmolds dot com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%