When Stenciling On Fondant Tiered Cake..........

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 7 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm by sugarshack

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 19

Do you stack first before Stenciling???? Any pointers on the whole process, are greatly appreciated!

18 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 19

If you look in my pix, the towering inferno cake, was stenciled on the sides with embellishments. We did each tier then stacked it onsite. A trick to stenciling, use a steady hand, breathe deep and take your time. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

MissRobin Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

If you look in my pix, the towering inferno cake, was stenciled on the sides with embellishments. We did each tier then stacked it onsite. A trick to stenciling, use a steady hand, breathe deep and take your time. Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

What a gorgeous cake!!!! I was practicing yesterday, and on parchment it was a breeze, LOL!!!! Different story when I got to sides of cake, I did ok, but my fingers weren't long enough to hold the stencil, I read on the paper that came with my stencil to use surgical tape. Then I read the thread about the $6 kit, and checked that out, I guess I could go buy those supplies at Wally World (Wal-Mart), or Have my husband hold it while I apply icing!!! That was really my biggest obstacle, and if I might bug you with one more question, what was your consistency of RI? The instruction paper said not to thick or you will get peaks, but when I thinned it I got more peaks, go figure!!! Hope mine turns out as beautiful as yours, I have to apply brown on ivory, URGH!!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 19

I had two sets of hands, me and my cake partner's - in this case she had more experience stenciling than I did so I held the stencil and she smeared the royal icing on it. We used a slightly thinned medium consistency royal for the sides. If you have issues, get a dummy, cover it with that gawd-awful wilton fondant and practice on that. Remember, practice is key!! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 19

Two sets of hands for sure. Check out my black and white damask. I don't use royal icing, I don't like the dull matte finish. I use piping gel. Bright and shiny!

meri1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meri1028 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 19

Thanks, MissRobin for asking this question. I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. I practiced on a flat piece of fondant with the piping gel and it actually got under the stencil! It was a mess! Was it too thin? How do you keep the icing/piping gel from getting under the stencil? It wasn't taped down, I was just holding it & "painting it on" not "smearing" it on like icing.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 19

I saw on cake girls that they use painters tape. Is that safe?

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #8 of 19

Piping gel straight outta the little Wilton tub it comes in, NOT the kind you squeeze from tubes, it's too watery. Mix in a small, seriously, small amount of coloring. I don't why, but piping gel takes about 1/4 of the color that regular or RI icing takes to get the shade you want. It's pretty thick. No painting, use a credit card or something similar to scrape it on.

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:47pm
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by meri1028

Thanks, MissRobin for asking this question. I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. I practiced on a flat piece of fondant with the piping gel and it actually got under the stencil! It was a mess! Was it too thin? How do you keep the icing/piping gel from getting under the stencil? It wasn't taped down, I was just holding it & "painting it on" not "smearing" it on like icing.

I don't use piping gel to stencil with because it's like using vaseline -- gross!! icon_confused.gif If you "smear" it on in one direction you won't have that problem -- "painting" it on you are going back and forth forcing the icing (or gel) under the sides of the stencil, thus smearing it. You should also use a fairly thick amount -- but not too thick and not too thin. You shouldn't "tape" it down (with painting or other tape) because tape isn't food safe. icon_eek.gif Your best bet is to get hubby or that cute neighbor down the street to go ahead and give you an extra set of hands to hold it down. icon_razz.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:

Quote:

I don't use piping gel to stencil with because it's like using vaseline -- gross!! icon_confused.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif I beg to differ. Nothing like Vaseline. That would be gross.

meri1028 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meri1028 Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:57pm
post #11 of 19

Thanks, bob & jamie! I can't wait to try! Especially getting that extra set of hands icon_wink.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:

Quote:

I don't use piping gel to stencil with because it's like using vaseline -- gross!! icon_confused.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif I beg to differ. Nothing like Vaseline. That would be gross.

icon_lol.gif To each is own. I use it plenty (see my tye dye tee cookies and pearls on Megan's wedding cake.) It's sticky and gooey -- can't argue with that! icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 19

Yep. It gives it a look anything like the typical RI, which I love!

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Piping gel straight outta the little Wilton tub it comes in, NOT the kind you squeeze from tubes, it's too watery. Mix in a small, seriously, small amount of coloring. I don't why, but piping gel takes about 1/4 of the color that regular or RI icing takes to get the shade you want. It's pretty thick. No painting, use a credit card or something similar to scrape it on.

Does it take long to dry?

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Oct 2009 , 9:53pm
post #15 of 19

Eh....it doesn't ever really dry. It will get "surface dry", and tacky, but not dry. It will still smudge on you. I keep some toothpicks, !-tips and vodka nearby to make fixes as I work. I pop the tier in the fridge after each swipe on the stencil to speed it up a bit. It is a PITA process, but the look is great.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #16 of 19

I did the black and white cake in my photos with wilton black BC right out the tube; perfect!

and it dried hard enough overnight that when I went to stack I could lighty hold the tier with other hand and it did not mess up the stenciling.

MissRobin Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 1:36pm
post #17 of 19

OMG!! That is one gorgeous cake!! As Usual, you amaze me!! Do you ever have a bad cake???? LOL!! I want to be you when I grow up! icon_smile.gif

Mickey17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickey17 Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 3:48pm
post #18 of 19

I think most of us want to be Sharon when we grow up!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 7 Oct 2009 , 8:26pm
post #19 of 19

tee hee thanks!

yes i have many bad cakes. this one bout killed me. the ganache kept tearing thru the top edge cuz it was so sharp. i just gave up and made sure the ruffle covered it! HA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%