How Do You Make Your Own Aluminum Cookie Cutter?????

Baking By proudmommaof3 Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm by bbmom

proudmommaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmommaof3 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 8

I read on one of the descriptions that a person was making her own aluminum cookie cutters....how do you do that???

Karen

7 replies
phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 8

I don't know who posted the thread you are referring to but my husband uses thin small strips of brass and shapes whatever I need and then welds it together. He makes gumpaste cutters for me. HTH

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 8

I found this in the Articles section here on CC:

http://cakecentral.com/articles/125/how-to-make-your-own-cookie-cutters

HTH thumbs_up.gif

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 8

My husband made me two based on the instructions found here on CC. Maybe he bought too heavy of a guage of aluminum, but I don't think I will get him to do another. It was a serious PITA. And he had to buy a bulk amount of aluminum...plus the snips, etc. Ended up with two $40 cookie cutters! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

proudmommaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmommaof3 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 8

I opened the link. Thank you sooo much! It seems tedious, but great for flowers or shapes you would use more often than others.

Karen

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:35pm
post #6 of 8

I know this isn't necessarily the professional way to do it, but I made my own cookie cutter for some cookies I did a while ago. I bought a very large cookie cutter, I think it was a huge pumpkin. I cut it open, flattened it out and then rebent it into the shape I wanted. I actually used an epoxy to seal the end. Mine didn't have many details, but I think it would work either way.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 8

There is also a kit you can buy--sugar craft maybe. (about 30$) I have it and it works pretty well. I've made about 10 or 12 cutters with it and they work fine. It comes with aluminum strips a board some tools for shaping and crimping and an adhesive.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:52pm
post #8 of 8

I also make mine from large inexpensive cutters. I dont open mine up though so no need to reseal.I print out whatever clip art I need, unbend the cutter from its original shape into a circle, lay it on top of the printout and using a pair of craft pliers bend it into the new shape. Thats how I made my "cars", hibiscus, and key cookie cutters. It cost $1.25 and some patience and maybe 30min.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%