Butttercream Consistency

Decorating By kandyc10 Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 9:30pm by __Jamie__

kandyc10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandyc10 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 10

I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING MAKING BUTTERCREAM ROSES AND I AM HAVING MORE TROUBLE WITH THE ICING THAN I AM THE TECHNIQUE. THE MEDIUM CONSISTENCY IS NOT QUITE FIRM ENOUGH AND BEYOND THAT SEEMS TO BE TOO MUCH. VERY, VERY FRUSTRATING! I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY WORDS OF WISDOM. icon_confused.gif

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 10

No need to shout. We can hear you just fine. icon_wink.gif

Believe it or not, icing doesn't have to be super stiff to make roses. Meringue based buttercreams are fairly soft, yet you can pipe beautiful roses with them. I know it's frustrating, but what you need is practice. It really helps if someone who knows how to pipe a rose can work with you, demonstrating and helping you position your hands correctly.

kandyc10 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 10

I see what you mean lol. I was at work and use all caps mostly. Thank you for the info. I will continue to practice. All the videos I have watched looked very different to mine in that their buttercream looks thicker and could distinguish between the petals where mine runs together. At first it looks fine but the longer it sets the more it becomes one. I know, practice, practice practice. Thanks again

prterrell Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 10

How long are you whipping your buttercream? Which recipe are you using? I've found that well-aerated buttercream works better. The problem with trying to make the Wilton recipe really stiff is that you run into it being too dry and then you get jagged petals.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 10

maybe the area you are working in it too warm? so that the bc gets soft as the flower sits out? good luck icon_smile.gif
xx

kandyc10 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 10

The recipe I am using is: 1 stick butter,1/2 c. shortning,4cups ps, 1 tsp vanilla. I whipp only long enough to mix. When that did not work out so well I just used ps and water and that just confirmed that I am indeed a newbie.

prterrell Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 10

Yeah, PS and water = sugar glue. As for the other, you're not whipping the icing long enough. Also, try adding a tablespoon of corn syrup. Otherwise, I suggest you try indydebi's or sugarshack's recipe. They get lots of rave reviews on here. Oh, one last thing, you're using real butter, not margarine, right?

kandyc10 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 10

No, I am sure it's margarine icon_redface.gif . So, real butter, whipp longer, will look at the recipes you suggested, corn syrup. I new something was not right... You have been a big help, thanks

prterrell Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 10

You're welcome. Remember, if a recipe calls for butter, use butter. Did you know that margarine is not regulated by the FDA because it's considered a manufactured product, not food?

Glad to help!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:30pm
post #10 of 10

Margarine in icing=barf!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%