Gumpaste Horse - Drying Problems

Decorating By brian1974 Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm by Texas_Rose

brian1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brian1974 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:21am
post #1 of 5

So trying to make a horse in stand up pose -

using gumpaste and toothpicks as internal supports - however im running into the same problem time and again.

If i lay the horse flat to dry the backside becomes compressed and flat.

If i leave him stnading up to dry his head starts to slant to one side and his legs slowly compress into stumps.

Any idea on how to avoid this

Thanks

4 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:49am
post #2 of 5

How about molding with RKT and then covering with fondant?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 5

Make each piece separately, allow to dry with toothpicks already inserted and holes drilled where the toothpicks will ultimately go, then glue all the pieces together with gum glue.

If you don't want seams, try making the horse in layers. Coat your armature with a thin coat of gumpaste. Let dry. Apply more gumpaste, etc. until you have a finished horse.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

Make each piece separately, allow to dry with toothpicks already inserted and holes drilled where the toothpicks will ultimately go, then glue all the pieces together with gum glue.

If you don't want seams, try making the horse in layers. Coat your armature with a thin coat of gumpaste. Let dry. Apply more gumpaste, etc. until you have a finished horse.

I was also thinking she didn't want the seams so that is why I didn't suggest the separate pieces. I do however think making the horse in layers is a great idea. thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 5

Depending on the size of the piece, you might be able to support it with wadded-up plastic wrap. Also, wire makes better supports than toothpicks because you can bend it into the shape you want and then cover it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%