Can You Help Me Please.... Fondant, Complicated!! :)

Decorating By LilaUK Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm by TitiaM

LilaUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaUK Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:06am
post #1 of 12

Hi

I'm kinda new to this forum and was hoping one of you experts could help me out!

I'm making a complicated Halloween cake (3 tiers with various details) but have a lot of things to do before the event. So I am trying to find solutions for splitting my work in the days beforehand.

So, 1. Has anyone ever prerolled chocopan or satin ice so that its already rolled out and then maybe wrap it in wax paper and put it aside for a few days or a week??

I've seen this done with Royal Icing (something you dont see in the States but is reallypopular int he UK)

That way, the day before the event, I can just unroll the fondant, put over the cake and voila, we are done. Im guessing it will shave a couple of hours off my decorating time.

2. Whats the best way to store fondant figures? In freezer? or fridge? Or just in an airtight box?

Thanks so much for any help!!

11 replies
rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:11am
post #2 of 12

the figures can just go in a box...but I've never heard of pre rolling fondant.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:14am
post #3 of 12

If you have room in your fridge why not just do the cake in steps...crumb coat one day....cover in fondant one day...detail work the third day?

I probably wouldn't attempt pre rolling the fondant. The figures of course can be done well ahead of time.

LilaUK Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:31am
post #4 of 12

I dont have space in my fridge and Im worried of running out of time. Plus its CA, so who knows how hot it may be and I have 2 kids, plus my niece and my parents in the house that week, so i don't want to risk leaving it outside.

I have a large freezer but I've read that its not good to freeze fondant cakes, so thats not an option. I did consider freezing the iced cakes and then doing the fondant fresh but its 3 cakes, and I don't want to chance that I don't have enough time.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:52am
post #5 of 12

Can I refrigerate a cake covered in fondant if I make it the day before. I have to make a baby shower cake for Saturday and was thinking if I can cover it with fondant the night before and refrig. will it sweat or ruin?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:53am
post #6 of 12

The only real concern would be that the fondant would dry out and then crack up when you tried to put it on the cake. That could be a pretty expensive problem. You could test it by rolling out a small piece and then wrapping it however you planned to store it, and seeing how many days it was still pliable for. I don't think waxed paper would be the way to go...press and seal wrap might be a little better but I really think it would dry out no matter what you wrapped it with.

Personally, rolling the fondant doesn't take nearly as long as everything else. I think I would bake ahead of time and freeze the cakes, then thaw them out two days before, fill and crumbcoat. Let sit overnight (wrapped with plastic wrap) then cover with fondant the next day and decorate.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:59am
post #7 of 12

I would also just try to do everything else you possibly can (non cake) early so that you can clear most of the day before (or two days before) to concentrate on the cake.

LilaUK Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:34am
post #8 of 12

Thank you!!

Im going to make the cakes and freeze them. Can I crumbcoat and freeze them? Or is it better to just do that before I cover it in fondant?

Also, any recommendations on a buttercream recipe that isn't too sweet and can be frozen/stored outside of the fridge?

Thanks again!!

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 12

Regarding storage of fondant figures, NO, NO and NO!!! icon_smile.gif Frig and freezer will cause condensation, sweating, bleeding, leaking, yuck! Airtight container will trap in too much moisture which will cause them to wilt, droop and possibly mold.

Store the figures in a regular cake box or other NON-airtight container. You just need to protect them from dust and sunlight. (And possibly the kids. icon_wink.gif )

LilaUK Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you Dianne!!!

I'll put them in a cake box and maybe put them in a friend's house!! Thanks again.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 12

No you can not pre roll fondant. You have to work/knead the fondant prior to rolling it to warm up it's flexibility. A rolled sheet will crack, break and tear and would not be repairable.
And make sure those figures go in a dark room as even indirect light can fade certain colors.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 7:08pm
post #12 of 12

Swiss Meringue BC, or French Buttercream--less sweet than the american BC and freeze/thaw just fine. Just wrap it really well and allow it to thaw before covering with fondant. there should be recipes on here for those.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%