Those Funky (Funky) Cutout Letters

Decorating By troyfan Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm by __Jamie__

troyfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
troyfan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #1 of 8

What am I doing wrong with these funky cutout letter? If I had of known they were this difficult, I would have never paid $12.00 for them. At this point I wouldn't pay 12 cents. Maybe I'm doing it wrong by following the instructions. Is there another way? No matter how much cornstarch or PS I use, the letters always get stuck.

HELP

7 replies
kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:06am
post #2 of 8

I've never tried the funky ones, but the regular tiny wilton letter cut outs gave me a heck of a time the first time I tried to use them. I found that by rolling out the fondant or gumpaste to the thickness I wanted it, then letting it sit to harden for about 20 minutes before trying to cut the letters out helped a lot.

sugarlicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarlicious Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:14am
post #3 of 8

I had a heck of a time with the funky letters too when I first got them, but with alot of trial and error I find not to have my fondant too thick when I roll it and to let it sit for awhile too to harden(half an hour or more) or a couple of times I have popped the fondant in the fridge to let it cool and harden then I rub my funky cutter letter I want in cornstarch and press down on the fondant and wiggle it around in circles to make sure it is cut but not to press down too hard on the cutter, I found this made it stick too.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:26am
post #4 of 8

Or.... you could use gumpaste, like it says in the instructions. I've never had a problem.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 8

You can lightly cornstarch your cutters or fondant after rolling it out, let it sit for about 10 mins and then cut your letters. Try not to have the fondant too thick and after cutting remove the rest of the fondant but leave the letters in place for about another te mins before moving. HTH

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:26pm
post #6 of 8

You absolutely have to let your GP dry a little bit or it will stick. Also, rolling the GP very thin will allow you to tap it and pop out the letter. There's a fine line, but with practice you'll find that perfect balance.

One other thing I do is after I cut the letter, I run my finger around the outline of the cutter so I get a nice clean cut without any fragments hanging on.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #7 of 8

Tonedna has a video tutorial and she uses shortening. the trick is to get the gum paste to stick to your mat instead of to the cutter. Let them alone till they harden and then get them up carefully.

I used cornstarch and they stuck to the cutters and I had to whack the cutters and they popped out onto my surface.

No matter what way you go it does take patience and practice and lots of letters that just don't come out right many times.

The lady bug cake I made had TONS of these letters. You don't want to know how many times I made them. Took me 3 hours for just those stinking letters but it was worth it beacuse it made it super cute.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm
post #8 of 8

GP for best results. Fondant with tylose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%