Anyone Get Into Trouble Selling Cakes From Home?

Business By Mug-a-Bug Updated 29 Sep 2009 , 3:03am by Carolynlovescake

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:19pm
post #61 of 67

Several times and even last week in fact I had a lawyer tell me~you can do anything you want in your house. So in that sense of course you can do a random cake once in a blue moon.

But when we start booking our calendar regularly-uh ugh.

So you're fine as is like with one cake like that. Or two a year or something--Just vague and random

Keep the money!

Because if you do one cake every six months you ain't a business. And every person on the globe can disagree I still believe that.

Cake addiction thoughts for you.

aprilbree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilbree Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:24pm
post #62 of 67

Thanks dkelly! I'm glad it worked out, too! And I'm so glad you said that, about checking with the venue. Once I read this thread, and starting thinking things through, that same concern popped in my head several times. So, I will for sure call tomorrow.

Oh adventures in cakery.....icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 28 Sep 2009 , 11:32pm
post #63 of 67

Yea, a simple "I'm providing the cake for the "Jones" wedding, is there anything you need from me?" will suffice.

I know if this business were just about the actual cakes it would be a LOT less stressful......it's the "business" part of it that stinks. icon_wink.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 12:33am
post #64 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I know if this business were just about the actual cakes it would be a LOT less stressful......it's the "business" part of it that stinks. icon_wink.gif

Ain't that the truth!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 2:48am
post #65 of 67

This may have been mentioned, I've not read all the posts yet.

I don't believe you can get business insurance without a business license. I became legal last year and immediately became insured and an LLC, just to protect my family. Without sounding selfish... it's not meant that way, but: What if someone became physically ill or sued you for tripping over their shoe laces (as my insurance agent put it) ?

I'm fortuanate my state licenses home kitchens fairly easily, unlike other states. icon_sad.gif I feel alot of relief knowing I'm following the rules, as silly as some of then sound...they are the rules. I hate filing taxes, but I don't mess with the IRS, and I don't mess with the HEALTH CODE.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:01am
post #66 of 67

Does anybody know about the 'cake rules' in Canada? I have found lots of info on opening a small business but having troubles finding specific info on caking from home.....

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 29 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #67 of 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Ain't that the truth!

I second... or is it third... that statement!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%