Fountain Cake Question

Business By jhuntl01 Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 3:21am by leah_s

jhuntl01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhuntl01 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 9

I am new here, but I read posts everyday. I run a wedding cake shop in Clio, MI and have since 2001. My experience is all self taught and Wilton courses.

I have not had any real "problems" that I couldn't figure out until today. I have a bride that wants a cake to serve 60 with a sheet cake for the kitchen to cut. The 60 serving cake the want with buttercream and a fountain. Now here's the issue...I'm not sure how to do this. Normally I would do a 12 inch bottom tier, 9 inch middle and 6 ich top for them to keep. I know that in order to put in a fountain I need a 14 inch bottom which is too many servings. So...are they out of luck on the fountain unless they go bigger or am I just not thinking this through?

8 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 9

What if you did a 6" to keep, 10" dummy tier, and 14" cake to serve? That would give you 78 servings.

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 9

What about changing the layout and having the fountain flat on the table (on the plate) and then having the tiered cake on top?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 9

Mrswendel has it. The very few times I've done s fountain cake (definitely not popular around here) the fountain always goes on the table. That way after the cake is cut the fountain can stay on and the table looks nice.

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 9

I, too, was going to suggest adding a dummy tier. icon_smile.gif

jhuntl01 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:06am
post #6 of 9

So are you saying that I should put the fountain on the table seperate from the cake instead of under like you would normally do?

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:18am
post #7 of 9

Flowers or lace or is it a plain ?? you could still use the correct size plate for the fountain to fit under maybe cover the plate as a fondant covered cake board and stencil or fondant imprint the part that can be seen along the edges. So you would still use your original size 12" cake on a 14"?(my fountain requires a 16 - 18" plate) fondant covered plate ???? just an idea without knowing how it is decorated?

jhuntl01 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #8 of 9

Covering the plate is a very real thought. I have never done a dummy layer before. Do you charge for it and if so how do you charge for it?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:21am
post #9 of 9

I meant, fountain between the plates and pillars, cake on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%