"you Should Start A Business"

Decorating By overindulged Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 4:37am by gscout73

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 18

Yes, my cakes are pretty good (for a no-experience, no cake/pastry background person). I do cakes as a hobby (triggered by having a daughter and love for throwing parties.) I do not want to go into business. Its a hassle and I don't have a business bone in my body. I'm perfectly happy with my daytime job (as an architectural designer) which I still love.

My friends and family have been pestering me to start a business. I keep telling them that indiana does not allow home bakeries. And I value most of my (Free) weekends. After doing 3 weekends full of cakes since Sept was full of friends/famiy birthdays, I KNOW I don't want to do this for a living. I love to do it when I want to do it, KWIM?

The problem is that they keep giving away my number and email to random people. I don't want to get in trouble with the law. AND by being on this forum, I now have too much respect for other professional bakers/cake decorators in my area (there's only a handful reputable ones in my small town).

I need other ways to tell them that I am not going into business without going into the whole long spiel about overhead costs and health department violations etc. etc. etc.

I love the gushes and compliments, but besides stopping doing cakes altogether, how should I curb my family/friends' over-enthusiasm about my "cake business"?

17 replies
mightydragon663 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mightydragon663 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:46pm
post #2 of 18

I would probably just tell them "I really love my job." I think for some folks it is hard to imagine that someone can really love their job. icon_cool.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 18

Every time someone tells me I should start a restaurant/bakery I have the same reply: I'd love to if someone gave me the start-up money. Businesses are extremely expensive to start, esp food industry businesses. It can take years to turn a profit. I don't have the money to do that and esp don't have the money to risk. But if someone else would like to give me the money (no strings attached, of course!).....

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 18

I could write the same exact post, so I know exactly what you mean. My response is alway, I would, if it could give me benefits and a company car! Shuts them up every time icon_biggrin.gif

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 18

I think honesty might be the best policy here? It might just be easier to explain to them that you love it as a hobby, but only a hobby. In regards to them giving out your information, I'd be straight up about the laws in your state and how you could just simply get in trouble for doing it. At the same time I'd ensure that they knew I sincerely appreciated their compliments and support. I'm sure if you presented it that way they would understand where you were coming from and respect your decision.

In regards to how to channel the communication, I'd simply send a blanket email - which isn't necessarily the best way of doing it, but it saves you from calling every single person who has committed the act and explaining it to them. Either that or you could do a cookie project, send them all out cookies with a letter attached explaining in a sugar sweet way that it will never be a business for you?

I dunno...I guess this is a tough one unless you're actually in the situation. I suppose it varies greatly on the type of personalities you're dealing with as well. I think for the most part my family would understand if I did something like that, but I know my Grandmother would probably in some way be offended as she probably thought she was doing me a favor.

Just my 2 cents. I could be way off? icon_redface.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 18

Them: You should start a business!

You: I"d love to!! When can you write me the check for the $50,000 it will take to get legal?

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

You: I"d love to!! When can you write me the check for the $50,000 it will take to get legal?

RIGHT ON! icon_lol.gif

@caike: they have good intentions, they are proud and trying to be supportive, i get it. but they have NO idea what a cake business entails I didn't either until I got on CC.) you're right, I have to be honest, but sometimes there are just times I want to be snarky. LOL.

I also know that my family and friends will NOT pay minimum $150 for a small 3D cake or $5-$7 for a tiered cake!!!

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:06am
post #8 of 18

Tell them they can balance your books & pay your rent in the slow months (on top of start up costs of course!)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:16am
post #9 of 18
Quote:

I'm legal from home... but this reminds me of all the people who tell me I should open my own bakery....

"Sure....are you going to give me the grant it will take to get it running? Not to mention providing childcare...."

haha.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 18

If I had a dollar for every person who told me that, I'd be in business already!!

The best way to judge whether or not your existing "referral clientele" is willing to become paying customers is to start charging them NOW. If they pay you what you're asking for, it might be worth a shot. If not...then you know they're just giving you lip service. So many people tell me I should open my own bakery, but what they really mean is I should open my own bakery, but they'd only order from me if I charged them the same prices they pay now!!

Also, like others have said before me, when someone says you should open your own shop, you ask them if they're gonna hand you the money you need?!?!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 18

Yeah. The "you should have a business" line is right up there in annoyance with "I bet you could get *insanely small amount of money that probably wouldn't even cover the ingredients* for that cake!" You KNOW they're trying to complement you, but at the same time, you're all grrrr!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 18

I always like the ones who suggest you start a "nice LITTLE" business. I don't know why they think a commercial stove/oven costs less if you only bake 3 or 4 cakes a week instead of 30 or 40. icon_confused.gif

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:

I always like the ones who suggest you start a "nice LITTLE" business. I don't know why they think a commercial stove/oven costs less if you only bake 3 or 4 cakes a week instead of 30 or 40. icon_confused.gif

Of course it does, just like the ingredients for a party cake cost less than those for a wedding cake!

I get that line all the time that I should open a bakery. I ask them if they are paying for it.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 18

Just tell them that if you "start a business" they'll actually have to start paying you for all their cakes.

They really do mean well, and obviously you are very talented or they wouldn't even bring it up, but yeah, people really just don't understand ALL that is involved in actually "starting a business".

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 10:13pm
post #15 of 18

Most people always say i should start a business but they have no idea whats involved with getting legal especially home based business. I checked with my local health dept in the State of TN and was told i had to bring them a sketch of my design for my kitchen of course i had to have an area added on or convert my garage into an kitchen the cost along left me in shock and i was saying it's just cake but i would like to be leagl someday, because i could see doing this full time or after retirement.

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:20pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:

LOL... icon_lol.gif

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:27am
post #17 of 18

I get that too, and my work is not that good. I always smile sweetly and say "this is not the right time in my life for this." If my 20 mo son is with me, I look meaningfully at him. If that doesnt work (why, its not worth it to send him to daycare? you could make so much $1), I go into the whole spiel that I have to find out if its legal to do in my home, get certified, get equipment, take a course or two, arrange daycare, build up a portfolio, and arrange kosher certification (that is almost as time consuming as getting legal, and there is a continuous cost, too, as they keep coming to check on your kitchen and you have to pay. in my community i may as well not open if i dont have kosher certification). when i'm finished, you literally see the lightbulb go on in their head, and they say "oh, so it's not as simple as just baking a cake and selling it"

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 4:37am
post #18 of 18

My response is "I do it as a hobby and I love it. If I started a business then it would be a job." If that does not stop the offender, I then tell say, "sure, if you pay my rent, electricity, medical and car insurance, the cost of turning my apartment compliant as a home business...." That usually shuts them up. icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%