New 20Qt Hobart Mixer..... I Have A Few Questions!

Business By 1234me Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 8:53pm by Mencked

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 7

My dear sweet wonderfu Dad just bought me the mixer I wanted! I AM BEYOND THRILLED and can't wait for my husband to get home so we can bring it in out of my car and set it up in the shop!

Tonight will be my first night using it and I didn't know if there were any words of advice icon_smile.gif

I make the Buttercream Dream recipe from this site. I usually make 24 lbs per week in my Kitchenaid so this will be a huge timesaver. Do I make it the same with all the same ingredients but on a larger scale?

I also usually use box mixes - 3 mixes at a time with the oil needed, water needed, 10 eggs, and one large box of pudding (in my kitchenaid) Do I keep these ingreients all the same too? How many box mixes will it hold?

As you can tell, I feel as if I have died and gone to heaven! This is going to be a lifesaver for me!

6 replies
cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 7

When I first started I used cake mixes, then I would put 8 in at a time. I did add a few extra eggs, mixed on 1st speed for about 1 minute to incorporate. I then would scrape down then mix on 3rd speed for about 2 1/2 minutes. My recipe for buttercream is in 6# batches , so I would make 2 at a time meaning 12# Powdered Sugar, I could have tripled it but it was a mess trying to scrape down that much. Either way the 20 qrt is a great time saver. Just remember to not wear anything jewelry or anything that the paddle or whip can grab while it is running. I always take it out of gear when I stop to scrape. Never try to use a spatula while the machine is running, it can cause a severe injury. Just some pointers. You will love this, and I hope you have many years of good service. Good Luck.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 7

Congratualtions On your new toy! Right now I can only dream. Hmm... maybe I asking the wrong person for one, haha

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:12pm
post #4 of 7

You have a 20 qt Hobart in your car? I had to get a truck to deliver mine.

Yes, you will love it.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 7

I LOVE mine too! icon_biggrin.gif You may want to play around with it for your recipes - it won't take you long to figure it out. They are a HUGE timesaver!! Congrats!!

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:45pm
post #6 of 7

I do have it in my car. It is a table top one, not a floor one. I have a Suburban. It is soooooo stinking heavy - I think my husband may need to have a friend come over to help get it out.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:53pm
post #7 of 7

You will love it! I triple my 5qt. recipe for BC icing...I tried to quadruple it.....once---too big of a mess. You will want to wrap a giant towel around your mixer when you make BC....wonderful for lessening the flight of the powdered sugar! I like to make about 10 cake mixes at a time when baking cakes...but you can do more!! I keep mine at the lowest speed for all 2 1/2 minutes when mixing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%