Found Board Covering Idea

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 2:10pm by cakesweetiecake

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 10

Maybe its already been mentioned...but I needed a bright bumblebee yellow board covering, and I didn't want to use fondant as it has to be a decent sized board and I didn't charge for the extra fondant use.... and I discovered that a plastic tablecloth from Party City works great! You have to tape it down pretty good (I use wide heavy duty masking tape) because its plastic and slightly stretchy...but on the other hand since its plastic, you don't have to mess with clear contact paper or whatever to keep the icing from bleeding grease. I also left it doubled over when I cut it so it was a darker yellow....and I did wrap a square board...it might be more tricky with a round.

Just thought I'd share!!!

9 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 10

That's a great idea!

Did you know that Dollar Tree has party tableclothes too? I don't know how much the Party City ones are, but that might be a way to do it even cheaper icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 10

It was 1.79 at Party City...I didn't think of it til I saw it, I was actually in there looking for bright yellow wrapping paper....and I was looking for a cloth tablecloth for something else (they didn't have that) and so I happened to see the bright yellow plastic and was like "Hmmmm".....

thumbs_up.gif

delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 10

I've used table cloth covers and it works like a charm thumbs_up.gif Glad it worked for you.

SimplyIced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimplyIced Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 10

Just out of curiosity, because I've been experimenting lately with board covers...do you get wrinkles when you use the tablecloths? I tried to cover a foamcore board with the press and seal and I wasn't completely happy with the results due to wrinkles. I did purchase some of the Wilton Fanci foil and some spray adhesive and it was better. I wonder if the table cover and spray adhesive would work well? I don't like wrinkles in my boards!!

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:52am
post #6 of 10

next time try covering the board in melted candy wafers. They come in all colors and usually less than 1 bag will cover a large board

Kitagrl Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #7 of 10

I refrigerate my boards, and the candy would crack...but neat idea!

The tablecloth worked GREAT for my cake....

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #8 of 10

I refrigerate also and the candy has never cracked (if board bends then may be a problem but I use drums or double foamcore for base, so since they are sturdy, candy never cracks)

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 10

Wallpaper is also really nice for covering boards.......I also use tissue paper covered in press n' seal or clear contact paper as well as scrapbooking paper (for smaller boards).

Tissue paper is REALLY cheap too and you wouldn't think it would work, but it really does....I've even used tissue paper and added those garage sale sticker dots (colored with a sharpie) and then covered in contact paper. Nobody ever has a clue! lol
They always think I want the boards back and when I tell them to toss em' they say "ARe you sure, it looks like a really nice board?"

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 10

Neat idea! Thanks for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%