I Don't Think I'm Being Unreasonable. Am I?

Business By cakesbycathy Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 9:05pm by erinalicia

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:12pm
post #1 of 39

I have a bride who's payment was due this past Sat 9/19. I am doing a 6"-8" round main cake and 21 4"&6"round centerpiece cakes. On Mon I called the wedding planner to let her know that I did not receive payment. WP contacts bride. MOB is writing check and will mail it to me. I tell them I need the check by Wed or it's cash payment on Thursday or no cake.

No check in the mail today. Call WP and send bride an email quoting the clause in the contract where is says failure to provide funds means fortfeiture of cake. Tell her either it's cash in hand by 5pm tomorrow or I consider the order cancelled.

Bride calls. Tells me there's a miscommunication. Since they weren't sure how many centerpiece cakes they were going to need for sure, thought they could hold off on payment. Says mom mailed check yesterday.

I tell her if the check is not in my mail tomorrow they need to bring me cash by 5pm. Bride gets very upset. Her mom works, can't get to the bank, can't take that much money out of the ATM, etc. etc. I explain that there is a reason I require 3 weeks - so that the check has time to clear. That her order is labor intensive and requires a lot of materials and ingredients and I need the money to purchase to everything.

Bride wants to know what happened to their deposit, why I can't use that to buy everything. I tell her that money is used for my operating expenses as a business. Tell her I will give it until tomorrow's mail and then it's cash or no cake.

Bride is very upset. I'm irritated. Does it sound like I am being unreasonable?

38 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 39

No you are not. It's all in your signed contract, now it's the bride's problem. She should learn to read the fine print before signing off. Good Luck!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 39

You are SO not being unreasonable. YOur are spot on and I'm glad you have everything covered in your contract. I also only take a check 30 days out. If they miss the cut off date, CASH ONLY. Not to mention they need to figure out now how many cakes they are going to need. What if the need to pay more money?

LaBellaFlor Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 39

ANd another thing you don't have to explain how you use the deposit. It's none of the bride's business, as long as she gets her order. All she needs to know is your payment policy.

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm
post #5 of 39

No you are not being unreasonable. You quoted a price to bride regarding payment for cake she agreed with your contract, therefore she needs to pay up. Some customers like to take us for granted they think it's okay for us to complete their orders without payment , but glad you are standing your ground.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 39

You're not being unreasonable, you're just expecting her to abide by the contract that SHE signed and agreed to.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

ANd another thing you don't have to explain how you use the deposit. It's none of the bride's business, as long as she gets her order. All she needs to know is your payment policy.

That is excatly what I was going to say.

And I am glad you are firm, and to the point being nice gets us screwed, when I was doing daycare as a business, a lot of people left with their kids, and never came back owing me lots of money, because I always waited for them to get paid next week, or cashed their Income tax Check lesson learned for when I start my cake business.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 39

Of course you're not.
Why is it your fault that the bride and her mother missunderstood (or ignored) the contract and didn't plan their payments correctly?

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:16pm
post #9 of 39

You are not being unreasonable and do not back down.
They knew the payment was coming up.
No reason to wait till the last moment if they did indeed mail the check (which I highly doubt exists).
If she isn't there tomorrow at 5- cancel that order.
Dont give her any more chances. Shes done, they obviously don't have the money to pay for the order.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

when I was doing daycare as a business, a lot of people left with their kids, and never came back owing me lots of money, because I always waited for them to get paid next week, or cashed their Income tax Check lesson learned for when I start my cake business.

I had that problem until I got a picture of me with the DA. I called him up and asked him if I could bring a cake and get a picture of him with it as a photo op for my clients. When they ask who that is I say "oh it's the District Attorney" they ask if we are friends and I just laugh and say "Let's just say I never have an issue with collecting on bounced checks, or people trying to get services from me with out paying."

He went as far as to have me a tour and said "this is a great spot for a photo op!" and we'd take a few pictures with him there.

thumbs_up.gif

Times like that it pays to be "the cake lady".

I have yet to have a bounced check or soemone trying to wiggle out of daycare payments like they used to once those photos went up on the wall right next to my licenses and sign in/out sheet.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 39

Stick to your guns! Sounds to me like they don't have the money.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

I agree. Sounds super fishy. I can't imagine how much 21 indiivudal cakes cost, but it must have been a lot. I'd have been right steamed worse than you by now. And no, you don't have to explain anything to them other than pay the money or no cakes. They should know enough by now since they paid a deposit and signed a contract. Time for willy-nilly-ness has long passed. Pay up or make an emergency tript o Walmart little bride!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 39

Why is it always reasonable when they order the cake, sign the contract and give the deposit, but when the due date comes along now they have "miscommunication" issues.

I'm sure this was covered when she signed the contract, I also hi-lite the payment schedule on my contracts in front of the bride and her guest.

To answer your question NO... not unreasonable.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:51pm
post #14 of 39

I agree with the rest you are not being unreasonable, in fact you're being very REASONABLE. You are giving them the opportunity to make this right, past the cutoff date. I'd say you are going our of your way to accomodate them.

My DD is in my nieces wedding on Oct 24th. Last week they had their first dress fitting....all 7 bridesmaids show up at the place together and 1 of the girls hadn't paid off her balance. The lady wouldn't even let her try her dress on.
Their policy clearly states that all dresses need to be paid in full PRIOR to any alterations being performed.

I felt bad for this girl when I heard what happened however, all of us knew that was the policy when we signed the dress order back in March.

We aren't the only business that requires "balance in full before delivery of goods"....especially nowadays.

Chances are if this bride is doing this to you, she's doing it to her other vendors too.

Good luck, I hope it all works out and keep us posted.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:37am
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

thumbs_up.gif

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:44am
post #16 of 39

How you handle your money is not her business, so I would have told her as much. Your policies are in place for a reason. Stress the contract and stick to your contract. You are not out of line, if she wants her cake she will pay you for it like she is supposed to. She doesn't get to make up her own rules b/c it's her "wedding day".

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:44am
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I agree with the rest you are not being unreasonable, in fact you're being very REASONABLE. You are giving them the opportunity to make this right, past the cutoff date. I'd say you are going our of your way to accomodate them.

My DD is in my nieces wedding on Oct 24th. Last week they had their first dress fitting....all 7 bridesmaids show up at the place together and 1 of the girls hadn't paid off her balance. The lady wouldn't even let her try her dress on.
Their policy clearly states that all dresses need to be paid in full PRIOR to any alterations being performed.

I felt bad for this girl when I heard what happened however, all of us knew that was the policy when we signed the dress order back in March.

We aren't the only business that requires "balance in full before delivery of goods"....especially nowadays.

Chances are if this bride is doing this to you, she's doing it to her other vendors too.

Good luck, I hope it all works out and keep us posted.

Eaxctly. Not only does the dress shop for my daughter's Quince require payment in full, they require it by a certain date or there is an additional charge of 13%.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:54am
post #18 of 39

You are NOT being unreasonable. Like others have said, you are in fact going out of your way to accomodate this bride. HOW DARE she ask you what you did with her deposit?! icon_mad.gif

Cash in hand by (whatever date - don't change it!) or no cake & the order is cancelled!

Ugh, now I'm irritated for you!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:14am
post #19 of 39

Agree with:
- it's none of her business how you handle the money. Does she think the lights only need to be turned on (and paid for) when her cake is in the oven?
- I'll bet she makes time somehow in her day to get to the dentist, the doctor, the dress fitting, and anyone else she has an appt with during the day. And around here, banks are open until 7 or 8 at night. Are you telling me there are still banks out there that close at 5? icon_eek.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:17am
post #20 of 39

Heck, my bank is even open on Saturdays & Sundays now!

auntginn Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:51am
post #21 of 39

Bank open on Sundays????????? Doesn't get more convinient than that.

LaBellaFlor Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:53am
post #22 of 39

I know! And can you believe they stay open until 3PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GottaLuvCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GottaLuvCake Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #23 of 39

Let us know what happens, you ought to tell her she owes you a late fee LOL

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:15am
post #24 of 39

I don't know what your contract says but mine says a 50 percent deposit due at time of booking to hold the date. Full refund if cancelled more than 30 days before wedding date, no fees refunded if less than 30 days before the wedding date and order cancelled and fees non refundable if balance is not paid 14 days before wedding date. Each spot on the contract has a date spot that I fill in. I always email the client or call them at the 21 days before the wedding date to make sure that nothing has changed and that she is aware that her final payment due date is coming up in a week. I have not been in business very long (2 years now) but so far that has worked very well for me. You have been VERY reasonable and I bet if they do have the money that SOMEONE will make time to get it to you tomorrow. Shoot, the mom can just ask you to rip up the check (if it's even really IN the mail) and then write a check to someone else to go cash and deliver to you for her. There is ALWAYS a way if a client really wants their cake.....or in this case, cakes.

Good luck,
Cat

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #25 of 39

She agreed to your contract - if she doesn't uphold her end of the bargain, she doesn't get the cake.

No money = no cake!

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:51am
post #26 of 39

And what about that excuse -- we weren't sure how many centrepiece cakes we need, so we want to hold off on payment? So are they planning on changing the order on you as well?

auntginn Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:03am
post #27 of 39

On that issue, my contract states that I must have a final number 14 days of the due date. This gives me enough time to purchase supplies and be prepared.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:49pm
post #28 of 39

Thank you all for your replies and your support!

The thing that irritates me even more is that we exchanged emails on Aug 21 about a groom's cake and I reminded her then when her final payment was due.

I agree - I should have told her what I do with the deposit is none of her business.

We'll see if the check is actually in today's mail.

auntginn Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:41pm
post #29 of 39

Please keep all of us posted, we will keep you in our prayers that it will turn out in your best interest.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:21pm
post #30 of 39

Sorry you are going through all of this. It's so easy to be nice and try to give ppl chances to redeem themselves. If the check is in the mail you should take it directly to the MOB's bank and have it cashed. Dont deposit it... take it to the bank that the check is from and have it cashed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%