Do I Need A Dishwasher?

Business By adven68 Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 12:28pm by adven68

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 12

I am planning my store layout & I am wondering if I really need a dishwasher? I wash my cake pans by hand becasue they get "blotchy" in the dishwasher..

I am not serving customers on any dish or glass ware...

the only things I would actually use it for are my utensils...spatulas, mixer bowls, paddles...

what do you think about having or not having one?

Thanks!!
p.s. I actually have a commercial dishwasher that was given to me by a restaurant that went out of business, so I don't have the expense of purchasing a new one, but it uses alot of power which means the power supply to the store needs to go to a higher level which means more money...

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 12

I worked in a bakery that didn't have a dishwasher - well other than the guy.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 12

I would say no, but if possible can you leave a spot for future use?

Mike

tigerhawk83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigerhawk83 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 12

If you already have one - can you just install it and not use it? That way if you ever want it down the road (like Mike said) - it's already there, but if you don't use it - it doesn't use power or water or anything.

One other thought - every state (and sometimes county) is different - is it required to certify your kitchen?

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 12

it saves a lot of time...just for the spatulas, mixer bowls, paddles and tips....unless your of of those peeps who love doing dishes....I HATE DISHES!!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 12

I opened my shop without one.... and went back and put one in 6 months later. I don't know what the heck we were thinking! One of my fave pieces of equipment! You won't regret it!

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 12

As someone who hates dishes, I immediately said "yes" when I saw the title, haha. After you bust your butt for HOURS working on a cake, do you really want to sit there and scrub dishes for another hour?

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 12

No if it's not required in your state for certification. I would refer with my health dept. Most health dept. want you to have three sink compartment for washing, rinsing and sanitatizing.

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #9 of 12

No, you do not need one if you have the required sink compartments necessary for your area. They use a ton of hot water, and are best efficient when the load if full.Your state will have the requirements for water temp, and sanitizing temp plus your solution amounts. The chemicals are also expensive. I have found that my handy dandy hands, dawn detergent, and bleach have saved me money. I try to wash after each project, then I don't have so many dishes to do. For sure if I had a nickel for every one that I have washed I'd be a millionaire. I do not love to do dishes, but I've done it this way for years and works for me. My sinks are large so I can put my 20 quart bowl in it. The sinks work great when you want to do a good soak on your stuborn stains.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:25am
post #10 of 12

Actually, a commercial dishwasher uses less electricity than a 'home' dishwasher. The program for a comm. dishwasher is only a couple minutes long at the most, whereas that dishwasher at home is running for 80-90 minutes.

I have a shop, everything is take away, and I wash cake pans by hand. Everything else goes in the dish. Bowls, spoons, spatulas, trays.... you name it. My dishwasher saves me 2-2½ hours of work per DAY. I'm open five days a week, so that would be 10-13 hours a week that I can use for making cakes and PROFIT.

Let's put it this way.... if you get that dishwasher installed, you'll never regret it, but if you don't install it, you'll always wonder.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:38am
post #11 of 12

Since you have it I would install it. If you need it well it will be there...otherwise use it like my mom does...she washes by hand and uses hers as a dish drainer....doesn't take up much needed counter space.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:28pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks to all...I think after reading your replies I am going to put it in. I'll store my pans in it if I end up not using it! LOL

You've really helped...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%