Sugared Fruit

Decorating By momma28 Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm by momma28

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding cake to do in the beginning of October that is to have sugared fruit on it. I have done a search and cant find any forum articles on this topic even though I remember reading one a long time ago that talked about the fruit sweating after it has been sugared.

I have not used this technique before and would appreciate any input on how you have done it. What type of sugar, do you add anything to it to keep it from seating and getting gloppy, what do you use to make the sugar stick? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you icon_smile.gif

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 4

When I worked at Publix, we dipped fruit in simple syrup and then used large-crystal sugar to coat fruit on some of the groom's cakes. Since 90% of our wedding/groom's cakes were picked up by the customer, once they were boxed up and put in the walk-in refrigerator, I never saw them again, so I have no idea how well that method worked.

When crystalizing (sugar coating) citrus peel or flower petals, egg white is brushed on and then the large-crystal sugar is added. IMHO, this is a better method. You can use the pasturized egg whites in a carton or reconstitued meringue powder, both are safe for consumption without "cooking".

Berries--strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries--are the fruits you need to worry about weeping. Anything with a smooth, firm skin shouldn't weep, so grapes, apricots, plums, cherries are the best fruits to use. If berries are desired, it's best to add them at the last possible moment and then just dust some sugar over them without using any wet medium to make the sugar stick.

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 4

I just had a problem with this last week. I painted grapes, blueberries, and strawberries with egg whites then dipped them in granulated sugar. The grapes and berries looked great. But a day later the strawberries had leaked and absorbed all the sugar. I had to throw them out and get some more. I definitely agree that firm-skinned fruits are the way to go.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you very much for the responses icon_smile.gif I now know that grapes and hard skinned fruit are better choices. She has no preferrence of fruit to be used as long as its scale.

I think I will sugar the fruit that afternoon so that they look their best.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%