Should I Even Consider Taking This Order? Travelling Cake.

Decorating By lthiele Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 12:09am by ceshell

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:24am
post #1 of 5

Hey all. Have just been asked to do my first paid wedding cake. Am excited to be asked as a result of my other work and am confident I could do the design, however............... the bride wants to fly the cake from Sydney to Hamilton Island for the wedding. She wants a choc mud layer and a dummy with sea shell decorations, both covered in fondant.

There will be a lot of transport and handling involved. Obviously it's a given that I have her sign a contract, but is it worth the stress to worry if the cake will make it there in one piece. More than anything, I'm worried about the heat getting to it and fondant bulges etc.

Some advice from previous experiences like this would be so helpful. I dont want my first wedding cake experience to be a bad one! TIA

4 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:46am
post #2 of 5

I would do it and once it leaves your hands it is her responsibility as far as any traveling with the cake goes.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:22pm
post #3 of 5

You could always pack it with dry ice. Wrap the dry ice in paper and it should last until after it reaches destination

oohrahwifey04 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oohrahwifey04 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 5

I am completely a newbie, but I agree, do it and once it's in her hands it's her responsibility. Just make sure she knows once it leaves, you are not responsible for any damage it may come across.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:09am
post #5 of 5

And use SPS

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%