Commercial Fridge With Glass Doors?

Business By cib Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 12:12am by cylstrial

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 10

I am starting to collect pieces of commercial equipment. A friend's husband is doing business with a strip mall owner where a bakery closed down. To settle the lease agreement this lady had to leave some equipment behind and now the owner wants to sell it. They say it's a fridge, but I've never seen one with glass doors. Reminds me of the coolers Dairy Queen has their frozen cakes in. They didn't know the year or manufacturer. Is anyone familiar with these?

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 10

These are pretty common in restaurants and bakeries. How large is it (inside cubic feet/inches)? How much are they asking? Probably a good deal and worth snapping up.

cib Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #3 of 10

I asked for the price and they didn't know yet, just quoted me what the price would be if brand new. They also didn't know how many c. ft or how old. Gee, you'd think they'd have that info if they were really trying to sell it.

prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 10

how far away is it? can you go check it out in person? yeah, I'd want the basic info (size, age, mfg, model, etc). don't buy it sight unseen, you don't know what kind of condition it is in. The prev owner might not have properly maintained it.

cib Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 10

I did see it from a distance. The shop is all locked up and it's visible from the front window. Funny, I had looked in there a few months back when I noticed this lady was out of the bakery and it was all closed up. Never knew the story until today when my friend told me. Her husband is doing seal coating for the parking lot, and the strip mall owner wants to trade him for his services. He knew i was looking for equipment so called me. But I have no idea if the fridge is even working properly. Any suggestions on what I should be on the look out for? I'm waiting to hear back from him, it's only 10 min away and I want to take a closer look.

prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 10

I'd want to plug it in an make sure it can hold temp (take a fridge thermometer with you). Check the seal to make sure the rubber/silicone is clean, not moldy, and not cracked. Mak sure it seals good when shut. Make sure the doors open and close properly. Make sure the plug into the wall is not worn. If you can, look at the coils. They might be dusty after being in the closed shop, have something to brush the dust off so you can make sure they don't have rust on them. Check and see if it leaks water from the coils. Check the racks and make sure they're sturdy and not damaged. Check the seal around the glass and make sure it is tight. If it is on casters, check those to make sure the brakes work and that the wheels roll properly. Ideally, the manual would be available, but if not, you could probably get one from the mfg.

Check with the local health dept. for the temp the require fridges to be and other things that they would check for on a fridge if they were doing an inspection.

cib Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you very much for all the helpful info, gotta go check out some prices.

prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:24pm
post #8 of 10

you're welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

keeping my fingers crossed for you that's it's a good deal/great find and all that jazz. icon_wink.gif

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:26pm
post #9 of 10

Please make sure they plug it in a few days in advance if possible, we ended up getting a fridge that held the temp but after a few days the lines would freeze up and the top half lost the ability to cool and lower half started freezing everything solid.

If your able to find out name of manufacturer and find out if this model is still being serviced and made. Ours was discontinued.

If not then walk away from the deal cause if you need to repair it or replace anything it will be very expensive.

We found out the hard way!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:12am
post #10 of 10

Definitely price out new and used fridges that are similar so that you'll know when you're getting a good deal. And don't be afraid to barter!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%