Shocked - Long Vent

Lounge By dnrlee Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 6:14pm by dnrlee

dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 19

My friends are having a party this weekend and I ALWAYS bring the cake. When I say bring, I mean I don't even charge them for it! It's my contribution to the party. Well, she sent out a text this morning wanting to know what everyone was bringing and she needed a head count so that she could order the cake. Excuse me?! I was completely shocked at how tacky that was. I don't think that I'm even going to say anything to her about it. I'm just going to let her order her grocery store cake and sit back and watch. I can't believe it! People were already asking me what kind of cake I was going to make for the party. Won't they all be surprised icon_confused.gif

18 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 19

Maybe she is trying not to take advantage of you by assuming you'll bring the cake. I think a quick phone call to her might help...wouldn't she need a head count for you if you were making the cake?

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 19

I'm with Texas_Rose, or maybe she was waiting for you to volunteer. She's probably waiting for your phone call.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 19

I agree with the previous posts. She might feel like she is taking advantage of you, having you bring the cake each time. Take this opportunity to make another great dish to contribute to the party. Don't let this spoil the party for you. Relax, enjoy and have fun! I looked at your picks and you do great work. I'm sure plenty of opportunities will come your way to make other cakes. thumbs_up.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 19

I agree completely! I would love it if some of my friends and coworkers would take the intiative and plan to get a cake from someone else now and then!

Take the opportunity to showcase your talents in some other food prep and present it at the party with a smile icon_smile.gif and relax and enjoy the fact you didn't have to make the cake this time thumbs_up.gif .

dnrlee Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 19

I talked to her and she said that she just wanted a sheet cake with some writing on it and didn't think that I would do that so she went a head and ordered it. I gotta say that my feelings are a little hurt. I'll take a dish and won't let it spoil the party for me - thanks everybody icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #7 of 19

you mean you have a chance to go to a party and just take a dish of food that might take you 30 minute to throw together instead of spending days or hours making a free cake, and you feel BAD about that? icon_confused.gif

Dang, girl, I live for those moments!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:10pm
post #8 of 19

What kind of party is it? What kind of dish are you think of bringing instead? Honestly, I love being able to show that I can do more than cake!

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 19

What indydebi said!!!!

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:10am
post #10 of 19

I think it's great that your friend is getting a simple sheet cake - I think it's a good reminder for them to realize how lucky they are to have you baking fresh beautiful cakes rather than a frozen/thawed dry nasty grocery store cake (sheet cake so probably no filling too) Bwah ha ha ha ha ha...haicon_smile.gif

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:33am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

you mean you have a chance to go to a party and just take a dish of food that might take you 30 minute to throw together instead of spending days or hours making a free cake, and you feel BAD about that? icon_confused.gif

LOL! Too funny...

dnrlee Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:46am
post #12 of 19
Quote:

LOL - I'll probably feel that way soon but I'm still kind of new to this and her parties are usually huge and I always get calls for cakes after them. Yes, I know. It's shameless marketing icon_wink.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:07pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrlee

Quote:

LOL - I'll probably feel that way soon but I'm still kind of new to this and her parties are usually huge and I always get calls for cakes after them. Yes, I know. It's shameless marketing icon_wink.gif

I love the 'shameless marketing' moments, too!!! icon_twisted.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 19

Well, when you go to the party and people ask if you made the cake (which I'm sure it will be obvious that you didn't) and they ask why you didn't, just reply "Guess you'll have to ask so and so"

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:20pm
post #15 of 19

I'm with several other posters-I love to show that I can do more than cake. Yes I love to show I can open a can or bag and dump things into a bowl! LOL
Once in a while it is great to put absolutely no effort into someone else's party.

IMO-most of my friends HATE to bake and can not get their minds around the fact that I actually like to make the cake. They think it is a form of torture and are trying to save me from it by getting a cake somewhere else.

overindulged Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
overindulged Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:20am
post #16 of 19

Would it be tacky if you bring another dessert? like truffles or cake pops or tiramisu? icon_twisted.gif ? LOL.

I agree with others... sit back and relax! icon_smile.gif

dnrlee Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:16pm
post #17 of 19

guess who called me this morning wanting me to bring cake to the party. Apparently, P@#b%X couldn't give her what she wanted AND..... I get paid for it icon_razz.gif

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:09pm
post #18 of 19

I can't think of a better ending. icon_smile.gif

dnrlee Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 6:14pm
post #19 of 19

me neither icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%