Problem With Fondant

Decorating By maika Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 1:16am by Trish43

maika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maika Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 7

I made a four tier cake last week and the fondant on the two bottom tier cracked. I used the comercial brand fondant, which by the way, is very expensive, and it didn't deliver the quality I was expecting.

I covered the cake with fondant the night before, and didn't put the dowels until the next morning. When I stacked the tiers one on top of the others and got ready to start decorating, the whole thing started to cracked open. I was able to covered the two top tiers because they were smaller, but couldn't do anything with the bottom tiers.
Please give me some advise of what can I do to prevent the fondant from cracking that bad.

Thanks,

6 replies
NancyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancyS Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 7

What was the name of the fondant you used?

I'm guessing you may have cut your dowels too short and the weight of the cake on top caused the fondant to crack.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 7

The same thing happened to me when I bought Satin ice. I called the company and they sent me two more for free. Those I only use if I'm making pieces in black and red. Never again will I use that stuff to cover a cake. I just learned real fast how to make Marshmallow Fondant after that and I love what it costs me and it had never given me problems.
I'm sure others have had great experiences with Satin Ice, but for me....I'm done!!!
I just delivered my cake with cracks and was humiliated for a while. I didn't have time to buy more and I wasn't firmiliar with MMF yet, so basically I was screwed because it was ivory fondant.
I wish I could help more, but all I can say is try some MMF because you have no time to order more fondant. Good luck!!

NancyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NancyS Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 7

I've never had a problem with Satin Ice. I use it all the time.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 7

Cracking was not a fondant problem. It was a support problem.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:03am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Cracking was not a fondant problem. It was a support problem.

Mine cracked before it ever got stacked, so I'm not sure if that's intirely correct. It came straight from the satin ice container and got rolled out smoothly and draped over the cake and walla.....problems.

Trish43 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trish43 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #7 of 7

I always have great results with satin ice that's the only brand i prefer. I have tried the mmf i like the results but sometime i do not have time to prepare.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%