Help! Bride Wants Round Cake Sections Iced As Mini Cakes...

Decorating By DreamCakesOnline Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 12:59am by sadsmile

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:11am
post #1 of 21

Need to find someone who has had this request before... Bride is asking for a six tier cake with the bottom four tiers cut into sections and iced individually like mini-cakes that will fit back together. It sounds deceptively easy but I'm afraid the narrow ends of the slices will be a major problem to ice with anything except maybe pourable fondant. Any tips/ideas/pictures would be greatly appreciated!

20 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:08am
post #2 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCakesOnline

It sounds deceptively easy

No, it sounds like a nightmare!! I can't really picture it, but if you do it, make sure you charge a LOT!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:29am
post #3 of 21

Oh, no no no no! She basically wants you to pre-slice and ice each piece of cake individually? That would be a freakin' nightmare, there's no way I'd do that. Tell her that you can do individual cakes, and each one is $20 each! So how many cakes would four large wedding cake tiers make? Times $20 each....hmmm, that's a good paycheck for a week's work. I still wouldn't do it.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:39am
post #4 of 21

I agree RUN!!!!!! Individual cakes are bad enough, but individual slices?????????

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 21

Are you sure she isn't asking for the bottom tier to be made of four small individual round cakes pushed together to make an almost petal design?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 21

Sad - that's exactly what I was thinking! It's in a lot of Wilton books and is quite pretty.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:55pm
post #7 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCakesOnline

..I'm afraid the narrow ends of the slices will be a major problem to ice with anything except maybe pourable fondant...

That doesn't sound like its only cut into four pieces to me.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:07pm
post #8 of 21

It does sound like she wants it pre-sliced. You could ask her for more detail...tell her it sounds like she wants it pre-sliced and see what she says. If so--RUN

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 21

Deceptively easy?! I don't get deceptively easy, I get straight up DIFFICULT! I would do it...for $7500...it is 4 tiers. GOOD LUCK! And if you do do it, please let me see the pictures.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 21

I dunno..."bottom four tiers"???? And she said "cut into sections"....

Nope...impossible. The icing would stick together and there's absolutely no way.

Tell her to just find a person to serve the cake for her. haha. That or order mini cakes. Sounds like alot of mini cake though...five tiers!!!!

I hope her budget is generous!

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:25pm
post #11 of 21

Dang, I wouldn't touch this one with a 10-foot pole.

Hunny, you need to GIT!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:30pm
post #12 of 21

Does she want something like this:

http://www.angelcakesbyvirginiavalentine.co.uk/cakesliceboxes_1.html

This is a wedding cake made out of precut slices in slice shaped boxes.... but the slices are not completely iced, just nicely cut out of cake....maybe she saw a photo like that and thought it was iced cake when really its cardboard boxes.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 21

Yikes....keep us posted as to what she is referring to. Ouch!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 21

When I read it, I thought the same thing as kitagirl .... the sliced individually boxed up to LOOK like a pre-cut wedding cake.

Otherwise, if she REALLY wants a pre-cut wedding cake, send her down the road. Or tell her it will cost a million dollars.

(I did that a couple of times in my corporate life. We would no-bid a project and the purchasing guy would come back and tell me he had to have 3 quotes so I HAD to bid. I told him my bid was "no-bid". He persisted. "Fine," I said. "Our bid for one power cord is a million dollars."

he shut up.)

mashmellow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mashmellow Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:41pm
post #15 of 21

i went to a wedding where the cake was as in the picture, idividual cake slices in boxes, the cake inside was chocolate cake with vanilla frosting and a couple of small roses no frosting on the sides

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #16 of 21

I don't see how a pre-sliced cake would be structurally sound UNLESS it was, as in the link above, pre-boxed. Seriously, how would you dowel such a thing? The inner part would be so sliced up that it would crumble all over the place!

Honestly, this sounds like a bride who has NO CLUE about cake. I'd RUN away from this one.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #17 of 21

Yeah, I can see how the boxes looked like iced individual pieces, Wow I'd like to sell cut up cake for 3.50 a serving. I wouldn't have to play and get my frosting perfectly smooth.

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:09pm
post #18 of 21

if, and i mean IF you decide to try it, as it was addressed regarding keeping all the pieces together perhaps a ribbon of fondant wrapped around the base to keep them all tucked in.. then have the plates for each tier- the legs placed strategically between the slices, hope this makes sense. still not as structurally sound as a solid cake but gives options.

again, hope this makes sense

sadsmile Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:15pm
post #19 of 21

I wonder how much those little slice boxes cost because you have to add those into the price. How do the boxes not get soggy and the cake stay moist?

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #20 of 21

i'm guessing their waxed lined or something like that

sadsmile Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:59am
post #21 of 21

Have you found out what she means yet?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%