Help Of Planning An Online Cake Decorating Supply Store

Decorating By Rylan Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 6:33am by Rylan

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:39am
post #1 of 13

I'm thinking of starting one but I'm wondering what types of products I should sell. I'm going to specialize in silicone and plastic molds. What other products do you think are "big" sellers?

12 replies
Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:54am
post #2 of 13

I would like to have an online store that specializes in molds! Great idea!

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:07am
post #3 of 13

Colors, i feel like i can never have enough, gel, luster, pearl, anything that is colorful

Rylan Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the suggestions. I was actually considering selling some FDA approved dusts for a reasonable price.

goddessa12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goddessa12 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:02am
post #5 of 13

Let me know when its up and running, I'd love to see it!!
Other than colors, and molds... i think the other thing I'm always looking for is cutters, either cookie cutters or fondant flower cutters....

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:18am
post #6 of 13

And also make sure, that you are able to ship overseas, I have a big problem with finding suppliers, who can do that. Need Paypal, reasonable shipping costs etc

egensinnig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egensinnig Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:42am
post #7 of 13

I agree with Ursula - we have real trouble finding supplies in Europe as well. Wiltons tips are hard to find the full range. Also fondant cutters like petunia. magnolia and such are hard to come by. And YES to luster dust and, sparkles and colours - I always end up with some new every time I shop supplies.

Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:57am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the suggestions. That was my main target, low shipping because shipping nowadays are outrageous.

If anyone have anyone suggestion, please keep them coming.

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:17am
post #9 of 13

I agree on the all the sparkles & dusts! The one store close to me charges a fortune for the little tiny container.
Also the clear flavorings, vanilla, butter, almond, etc...
ummmm i'm sure i'll think of more I can keep adding! LOL

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:17am
post #10 of 13

Rylan are you going to do sugar molds? I know many of us have searched for sugar mold and sugar tools at decent prices. (pumps, isomalt, molds, the make your own mold silicone, mats, gloves, etc). Maybe you could think on the lines of airbrushes and tools also. I know I have seen many on Ebay at decent prices but I get a little worried about buying from suppliers on ebay that I don't know and I just don't want to pay the price at Michaels.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:26am
post #11 of 13

oh and stencils!

Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:32am
post #12 of 13

Thanks Terry, I'd keep the flavorings in mind.

Patty, yes I am thinking of sugar molds as well. The one I wanted to focus on was lace, medallion, pendant, etc. molds for gumpaste because they are usually expensive. As for the airbrush equipment and such, I think I will consider that in the future but I will definitely go for the tools for sure. Thanks for the suggestions.

Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:33am
post #13 of 13

Oh and yes! Custom stencils! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%