Smbc Or Imbc Made With Brown Sugar...anyone?

Baking By G_Cakes Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm by prterrell

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #1 of 8

Hello fellow cakers,

I tried making some smbc but instead of using granulated sugar I used a light brown sugar.

Well the stuff tasted out of this world but wold not thicken up no matter how long I mixed it for.

I left it in the fridge overnight in hopes that this might help it and still no luck.

My kids took left over cake scraps and dipped it into the mixture and said it tasted great but it just never got to the meringue stage.

Can anyone tell me if they have ever tried to make a IMBC or SMBC using brown sugar? and if so can you please pm with a recipe.

I did a search online and cant find anything....

Thanks for reading icon_smile.gif

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 8

I have made IMBC using brown sugar. Frosted a choc cake with it. Was delish! Found the recipe on epicurious.

G_Cakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:03am
post #3 of 8

would you have the link for this recipe? I just searched epicurious and could find anything at all...thanks

G_Cakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 8

thank you so much icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 8

you're welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 8

I made IMBC with it recently this weekend, and my only problem was that my pan was not high enough to keep the sugar from overflowing onto the stove. I don't usually have that problem with white sugar. (I used dark brown sugar)

It was so bad I didn't cook it to soft ball, only to about 15 degrees or so under.

It took extra, very cold butter to get it to emulsify but it did work. I used about a half pound more of butter than usual. And I LOVE the color.

prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 8

You might have had the temp up too high. I heat my syrup over medium heat. It takes a while to get to temp, but I've never had the sugar burn that way.

I want to expirement with this particular BC. I'm thinking of using maple syrup with the brown sugar somehow. Maybe a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg in the final buttercream along with the vanilla extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%