Help! Over My Head!

Decorating By amyv123 Updated 1 Oct 2009 , 3:55am by amyv123

amyv123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyv123 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:07am
post #1 of 29

Hi all--
I have a wedding cupcake order due on Friday. The bride has decided she wants an orange lily, like these, http://www.geneburch.com/gallery/d/1491-3/Orange_Lilies.jpg
on each one.
I have zero experience with gumpaste, so I'd prefer to use fondant. And I need to make 200 of them!
I have the flower cutter kit from Wilton, and I'm thinking there's a cutter in there for the petals. But how in the world do I make the stamen? Or do I leave them out? I'm trying to stay calm.....
Thanks in advance!

28 replies
aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:17am
post #2 of 29

Good luck--here's a bump.

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #3 of 29

I haven't made those types of lilies so can't offer advice on those - I'm sure others can - but with regard to gumpaste it handles the same as fondant just dries quicker, which is a good thing when making flowers. nothing to be scared of and will make your life easier. 200 of any flower is a lot of work, and very short notice if the bride has only just requested this - don't be afraid to tell her it can't be done, or recommend that they go on every other cupcake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #4 of 29

The cutter in that set is going to make super big flowers for cupcakes icon_sad.gif
If you do make them yes, leave off the stamen OR
just use dry spaghetti pieces.

There is no difference in how to work between gumpaste and fondant. After all, gp is basically fondant w/a drying gum addedicon_smile.gif That makes it easier to roll the dough thinner. Otherwise the two are (almost) the same.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:24am
post #5 of 29

There's a lily cutter in the Wilton kit but it doesn't make a lily like that. You might be able to manage with the orchid cutter and using a corn husk (tamale wrapper) as a veiner...but with the time constraints you aren't going to be able to master it and make 200 of them. She should have told you a month ago at the very least.

What was the original design?

To make stamens, you can buy premade ones but they usually come in white only, so you'd have to dip them in a color/vodka mix or order colored ones.

If you do attempt it, use gumpaste. Gumpaste will dry a lot faster, and you'll have to dry the petals in some kind of former to get the right shape. You probably don't have formers for 200 flowers.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:28am
post #6 of 29

Wow!! I think that you may find the stamens from global sugar art. If you make them in fondant you won't be able to roll it as thin as you would gumpaste. Those flowers take a long time, do you have someone to help you? Is it possible for you to make a different flower, like a buttercream rose? Honestly this is a short amount of time to get that done. I am not trying to put a damper on your spirits. Maybe you should purchase some ready made gumpaste it is not a huge difference between the handling of fondant except that it dries alot faster just my opinion. Once you try to work with gumpaste you will like it. Good luck

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:32am
post #7 of 29

I'd tell her that it's too short notice for gumpaste flowers.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #8 of 29

If she has just now requested these flowers and they were'nt in the orginal design/contract I'd tell her it's a no go, or charge her 10$ per flower and make the next 3 sleepless nights worth it!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #9 of 29

I agree with kakeladi and Texas_Rose that if you do attempt to make these you'll want to use gp. The only difference between the two is that gp dries a lot faster you have to work a little quicker than you would with fondant. That's actually a good thing for you since you know that your flowers will dry in time. Also the petals will look more realistic because you can roll gp thinner than you can fondant.

If your charging for this cake and you do decide to do this I would definitely charge a rush delivery fee. Personally I think that's a lot of work for 200 cupcakes on such short notice but if you think you can do it go for it.

Another option could be that maybe you could see if you could purchase the gp flowers on-line and have them rush delivered to you?

Here's some pics of of gp lilies and there prices (mind you they are larger sizes but will still require the same amount of work):
http://theediblekind.com/services1.html
http://www.discountsugarflowers.com/detail.aspx?ID=201
http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=3854

amyv123 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:46am
post #10 of 29

It's all my fault. She said lilies (or, rather, her mom did. The bride doesn't care, I don't think), and I thought calla lilies, which are easy-peasy.
But no, not calla. And now I'm scared!
Thanks SO MUCH for all of your advice. I'm worried that I'll mess up gumpaste, but hey, what have I got to lose?
What a mess I've made. icon_redface.gif

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:50am
post #11 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

If she has just now requested these flowers and they were'nt in the orginal design/contract I'd tell her it's a no go, or charge her 10$ per flower and make the next 3 sleepless nights worth it!

I completely agree with this. I thought I'd be able to crank out an entire set of leaves for my last cake and that they would all be fantastic. They looked ok, but it was also my first time working with gum paste and it was a frig of a lot more work then I ever expected it to be.

Why don't you show her a cake with orange callas and see what she says about that?

http://media.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/75007/normal_wedding_orange_40_b.jpg
http://littlebirdiebakery.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/orange-callas.jpg

MUCH more reasonable and a compromise at the 11th hour.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

Caike Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:54am
post #12 of 29

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_U44UYOO153g/Sm3HwmmVMpI/AAAAAAAAAfw/fgi2fN6iGKY/s320/cakes+031.jpg

The orange lily set into the icing like on these cupcakes looks fantastic too. Just a thought.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:13am
post #13 of 29

What about some fresh ones, decorating the cupcake stand? Or if the bride has other flowers in her bouquet, what about making some of those if they're easier, then you wouldn't have to attempt 200 lilies...you could do a mix of the easy ones and a few showy lilies thrown in.

And if you can get your hands on some tylose, Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe is the best.

patiese1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patiese1 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:59am
post #14 of 29

Hello

I read in a post to try Nicholas Lodge gumpaste recipe but I can't find it. I search but no luck. Could someone help me out?

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:08am
post #15 of 29

You probably don't want to do this, but those types of lilies can be make with royal icing. Just a thought in case you need a backup plan. I know they would be smaller, but it is just a thought.

I found this cake in the gallery.
LL

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:35am
post #16 of 29

The stamens are easy. You just roll a small pinch of brown gumpaste into that small little sausage shape and stick some ultra thin florist wire in it or you actually roll the shape while it is on the end of the wire. Then take the edge of your small spatula and press a line down the center of it. Tape all five together around the middle one. For the middle on you roll your sausage of fondant (very tiny to start) on the wire making it a bit thicker toward the end. Take some of those bent tweezers (or straight ones if they work for you) and squeeze out the three little nobs at the tip of the stamen. Dust them all with with your petal dusts.

I took this flower class from John Jennison (seen at Chris Garren's shop on Amazing Wedding Cakes). I have no idea how you are going to make 200 of these, dust them and make extras to allow for breakage for an order due Friday.

It's not your fault. You go back and say "Just to clarify the flower you wanted is (insert here)" she'll so "No, I wanted (insert here". You'll say, "Sorry, but as much as I'd LOOVVEE too - with such short notice there is no way I can accommodate this request due to the amount of labor required but might I recommend (insert whatever clever and reasonable alternative you've come up with here)." Unless you don't work, have kids, eat or sleep I don't see how you are going to do this by Friday. Unless you know something I don't, each flower takes more than an hour to complete but best of luck to you should you take it on!

Just remember, you're a bride wrangler now. Don't be wrangled....grab the bride bull by the horns and guide this in a more reasonable, doable and far less stressful direction.

Gooood luck!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:13am
post #17 of 29

I am just curious what did you charge her per flower? It is a lot of work.

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 2:35pm
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyv123

Hi all--
I have a wedding cupcake order due on Friday. The bride has decided she wants an orange lily, like these, http://www.geneburch.com/gallery/d/1491-3/Orange_Lilies.jpg
on each one.
I have zero experience with gumpaste, so I'd prefer to use fondant. And I need to make 200 of them!
I have the flower cutter kit from Wilton, and I'm thinking there's a cutter in there for the petals. But how in the world do I make the stamen? Or do I leave them out? I'm trying to stay calm.....
Thanks in advance!

OK Amy.... I am dying to know. What did you decide to do? How did it come out? Did you post pictures?

amyv123 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:49pm
post #19 of 29

You guys are the greatest! Thanks so much for all the ideas, info and suggestions.
I decided to just gut it out, with fondant, and no stamens. I work at night, so I'd sit in front of the TV all day and make lilies, lilies, lilies...
I know they are nowhere NEAR the caliber of work you all turn out on a daily basis, but I was pleased with them. And more importantly, the bride was over the moon.
All in all, it was one big, fat, HUGE lesson learned!
Thanks again, you guys are the best!

amyv123 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 9:57pm
post #20 of 29

Trying to post a pic with no luck so far... see, I AM an idiot! icon_cry.gif
LL

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:01pm
post #21 of 29

I am astonished! How the ***** did you do that in that amount of time. I've made gumpaste lillies and they take forever!

Caike Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #22 of 29

Wow - turned out amazing! You should be sooo pleased!!! thumbs_up.gif

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:25pm
post #23 of 29

Wow!!!!Great job!!!did you have help? Why didn't you put any lilies on the top tier? You really are superwoman!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

amyv123 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 10:29pm
post #24 of 29

aw, shucks, you guys are so kind!
Nope, no help. Just me and my TV!
No flowers on the top because they wanted fresh, and the florist hadn't been there yet. The mother of the bride is sending me pics of the "final product."

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 11:47pm
post #25 of 29

That's just amazing.... I am so proud of you! Great job!

lillermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillermom Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #26 of 29

you did it! They look fantastic and I hope next time you charge out the wazoo for such hard work!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:01am
post #27 of 29

Fantastic!!! You should be proud!!!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #28 of 29

Good Lord woman your GOOD !!!!!!!!!! Turned out BEAUTIFUL.................. Hope you got paid well for those.

amyv123 Posted 1 Oct 2009 , 3:55am
post #29 of 29

You really think so??? I have been beating myself up since for not including a stamen. But hey, they still got WAY more than they paid for, right?
And it's always a lesson, I guess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%