Coating For Cake Truffles

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 1:23pm by Brenda0217

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 8

I've been using the candy melts by Wilton to dip my cake truffles in. However, I just don't like how crunchy and hard it dries. I want it to dry hard but not be so difficult to bite into. Is there something else that has less hardness to it when you bite it that I can dip these in?

7 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 8

Expensive bulk chocolate like Godiva or Callebaut or whatever chocolate available to you.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 8

Hi, you can use melted chocolate or once I used ganache to dip these. So yummy! icon_smile.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 8

I'm with kiddiekakes............... real chocolate (and a tempering machine icon_biggrin.gif )

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 8

Oh I WISH I had a tempering machine! I love ganache, but how do I get it thin enough to dip and still dry hard like a truffle shell?

Guess I'll be heading to the gourmet food store to buy some good chocolate. Thanks everyone!

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 8

Does anyone have a receipe to make cake truffles? I have one but I was wondering if there are any variations of it.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 8

I had this same dilema until I added Paramount Crystals to my chocolate (and/or melts). This makes the chocolate mixture thinner and it covers more truffles too. It also makes the chocolate less brittle when you bite into it because the coating is'much thinner'. thumbs_up.gif

Brenda0217 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brenda0217 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 8

I use Plymouth Pantry Almond Bark, comes in choc. and vanillia, trans fat free, just microwave to melt , I get mine at walmart. And I think it has a smooth texture and taste to it, both flavors are good to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%