Wedding Sheet Cake Prices And Servings

Business By SomethingSweetbyJ Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm by LaBellaFlor

SomethingSweetbyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomethingSweetbyJ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 3

I am (still) working on my pricing. I need advice on how to charge for wedding sheet cakes. My standard wedding sheet cake has three layers of cake, so it will be taller. Because it is taller how many wedding servings do you think I can get from it? Should I keep it the same at about 94 servings per full, or because it is for a wedding would the serving size go up to about 120?

In general, how much more do you charge for regular wedding sheet cakes compared to your party or specialty prices?

If the prices between standard and wedding sheet cakes are different, have you ever had a bride that complained?

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 3

Taller means the pieces are bigger ... it does not mean you get more pieces from it.

If a standard piece is 4" tall and yoru cakes are 6" tall, they are getting 50% more cake (cut 1x2x6 instead of 1x2x4), so technically your price per serving should be 50% more.

I do not have party and wedding pricing. I am not stirring up THAT hornet's nest, no way, no how.

Same cake, same work, same costs, same price.

When you have the same prices for both, you never have that conversation with the bride.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 3

I do not price different for weddings versus a special occasion, they are all special occasions. IF I wear to do a sheet cake it would still be 2 layers and cost the same, cause it would still be a 1x2x4 serving. the only difference would be that the per serving on the wedding cake would cost more cause of the decor and the 4' sheet cake would probably have the base price since it has no decorations. I understand the "party" serving when it's a 2' layer cake, but all that gets confusing when you price cakes. If it's 3-tiered cake for a birthday party or a 3-tiered cake for a wedding, don't they take the same amount of work? Why would I then price differently?Buttercream starts at $3 & fondant starts at $4 per serving. If it's 6' high, the price would go up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%